free website stats program Harley Dealers going down. | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Dealers going down.

I think when the MOCO started telling the dealers to clean up or shove off that's when stuff hit the fan. MOCO wants big high visibility show rooms, large inventories of clothing and boots and watches and bracelets and stuff for my dog. They want to cater to doctors and lawyers with lots of money. They don't want grease balls like Joe Public there, we complain and whine too much. These big floor plans and inventories cost a lot of money to keep going and you and I are paying for it. It is all about image now. You don't walk into an auto dealer show room and find 5000 sq ft of boots and jewelery and chrome, and shirts, that is expensive space. If I had my way I would deal with a small dealer with a thousand sq ft of show room and another 1000sq ft of service area and 500 sq ft of parts and accessories
kemo

I was at my local Harley dealer today in Wildwood NJ, and HD has closed them down, also there sister shop 50 miles away. They told me that HD is closing dealers all across the US, they were in shock, they just got the word yesterday afternoon. Man, they are only 10 minutes from my house, and now I have to go 65 miles to a dealer. I feel sorry for all the folks that work there, they are a great bunch. The dealer was very, very busy 8 months a year, it would take 4 or 5 days to get in for any service. I know this is the North East and dealers are slow in the winter, but hey, that's all dealers in the North East. It's a sad day and I will miss all the great folks there and the party's/rally's the dealer had. They even had free hotdogs, hamburgers & soda, plus 40% off today to honor their customers. You could walk into this dealer and everyone would know you by name. Sad, very sad. :( :( :(
Hey neighbor, I too was a customer at Wildwood Harley and I was sad to hear the news, I did notice they are now a used bike dealer. I am a little angered that I still have a gift card. I wonder if they will still honor it.

I think when the MOCO started telling the dealers to clean up or shove off that's when stuff hit the fan. MOCO wants big high visibility show rooms, large inventories of clothing and boots and watches and bracelets and stuff for my dog. They want to cater to doctors and lawyers with lots of money. They don't want grease balls like Joe Public there, we complain and whine too much. These big floor plans and inventories cost a lot of money to keep going and you and I are paying for it. It is all about image now. You don't walk into an auto dealer show room and find 5000 sq ft of boots and jewelery and chrome, and shirts, that is expensive space. If I had my way I would deal with a small dealer with a thousand sq ft of show room and another 1000sq ft of service area and 500 sq ft of parts and accessories
kemo

Good call Kemo, that said The MOCO made Limey and his wife upgrade St. Augustine Harley or lose the franchise. Its too bad Limey had a small shop but he always had time for grease balls lile me, You are 100 here:s

According to this write up, the "Owner" shut down the two dealers. Word around here was Harley shut them down.Millville, Wildwood Harley Davidson shops close | NJ.com

IMHO, The strain on Harley and the dealers comes from used bikes on the market along with online shopping. The bad economy has forced many to sell their bikes, literally flooding the market with affordably priced used Harley's. Normally the case was that you sold your Harley and bought a new one, but with the times guys are selling and paying the bills with the cash. Businesses are just going to have to weather the storm and sit tight. You can see signs of improvement already. The guys that hang in there are going to be the ones who profit when there is no competition left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another NJ Dealer going down??? I heard the other day that Mills H-D in Burlington, NJ was closing July 31. Anybody else hear anything about this?

Yes unfortunately Mills is closing the doors on July 31.I was there with my wife yesterday to purchase my last Mills HD T-shirt.Needless to say the employees and the customers are very sad.Ed Mills opened the doors in 1958 and it has been a local landmark ever since.His daughter who has run the place for many years is about to retire and her daughter seems to have no interest in running a dealership.(Imagine that!)They have tried for the last couple of years to find a suitable buyer(the new buyer must meet the Moco's qualifications)but to no avail.Good Bye old friend.

I remember back in the Sixties when they had a Harley junk yard with old bikes just rusting away where the parking lot is. You could probably charge admission just to walk through it now. :(

Yes unfortunately Mills is closing the doors on July 31.I was there with my wife yesterday to purchase my last Mills HD T-shirt.Needless to say the employees and the customers are very sad.Ed Mills opened the doors in 1958 and it has been a local landmark ever since.His daughter who has run the place for many years is about to retire and her daughter seems to have no interest in running a dealership.(Imagine that!)They have tried for the last couple of years to find a suitable buyer(the new buyer must meet the Moco's qualifications)but to no avail.Good Bye old friend.
Why should this be good bye? I would rather go to a private shop any way. So he can't order brand new bikes. He could still make a living selling used or last years with a beter service center than most dealers. Plus his overhead would be less without that big fancy building.

Back