free website stats program Getting a Fat Bob | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Getting a Fat Bob

I own a 2007 flht that I bought new, and a 2002 FXDX that I bought used last year. Lately I have thought of selling both and buying a FatBob. I have ridden 1 and really liked it, but dealer wasn't going to give me enough for trade. Since buying the FXDX the other bike sit's there. I really like the sedonna orange. Nice bike you have there, good luck with it.

It's been a great summer on the new Fat Bob and I had a great time riding it. Packed it full of camping gear with the quick release back rest and rack and had a great trip. Who needs a full dress bike when you got the quick release stuff.
I love this bike.
Also sold the Sporty nice and fast and got a good price for it too.

The Fat Bob is a fantastic machine and like all Dynas, it handles. More importantly, with all that rubber in contact with the road and proper brakes, it stops!!.:s

I'm lookin to get my first motorcycle & am torn between the Forty Eight and the Fat Bob. I really dig the Fat Bob but was concerned it might be too big/too much bike for a beginner. Went to the local HD dealer & sat on both & was initially more comfortable on the lighter/smaller Forty Eight but that's also cuz I had no prior experience on a bike. I'm taking a class in two weeks to get my license & then will revisit both.
What's been stickin out the most has been a constant theme I've been hearing of 'get your second bike first' & that while the Forty Eight is a great bike I will probably (& most people seem to) grow out of it & want to trade up.

I'm lookin to get my first motorcycle & am torn between the Forty Eight and the Fat Bob. I really dig the Fat Bob but was concerned it might be too big/too much bike for a beginner. Went to the local HD dealer & sat on both & was initially more comfortable on the lighter/smaller Forty Eight but that's also cuz I had no prior experience on a bike. I'm taking a class in two weeks to get my license & then will revisit both.
What's been stickin out the most has been a constant theme I've been hearing of 'get your second bike first' & that while the Forty Eight is a great bike I will probably (& most people seem to) grow out of it & want to trade up.

Do you know what kind of MC you'll be using during the class? Will it be held @ the H-D dealership? If so, talk to to the Sales Manager and see if they can letyou use a Sporty one day, and a Dyna the next. At the H-D classes, there are two days where they ride.
Of course - you have to determine what kind of riding you'd like to do. If its strictly around town/short commute to work - then maybe the Sporty will work best for you. But if you want all that and then some longer day/weekend trips of 200 miles or more . . . Then the Dyna (FatBob) or Softtail might be better for you . . . . You CAN do long trips on a sporty . . . but Dynas do it a bit better . . . much easier on you . . .

Just a thought . . . .

Mark - thanks!:newsmile026:

Do you know what kind of MC you'll be using during the class? Will it be held @ the H-D dealership? If so, talk to to the Sales Manager and see if they can letyou use a Sporty one day, and a Dyna the next. At the H-D classes, there are two days where they ride.
Of course - you have to determine what kind of riding you'd like to do. If its strictly around town/short commute to work - then maybe the Sporty will work best for you. But if you want all that and then some longer day/weekend trips of 200 miles or more . . . Then the Dyna (FatBob) or Softtail might be better for you . . . . You CAN do long trips on a sporty . . . but Dynas do it a bit better . . . much easier on you . . .

Just a thought . . . .

Mark - thanks!:newsmile026:

Cheers, Mark.
It's not an HD class so I'm not sure what they'll be using.
I don't know what kind of riding I'll be doing since I've never ridden before & none of my friends ride. However, I do know that now being in my mid-30's I'm looking for something a little easier on my back. I figure I'd be a local rider at first, but don't want to limit myself if I make new acquaintances & wanna venture further. Most signs are pointing to the Fat Bob. I think for me its a matter of what I liked more vs what I initially felt more comfortable on. Though, at 5'11" & 180 lbs I've been told that w/ a little practice/confidence the Big Bob really shouldn't be an issue.

My first HD was a 2009 Fat Bob. It was great! Rode well, cornered well, all around good ride. I had it for 2 years then sold it when I went to the EG Ultra as I was doing longer rides and for me at 6'5" the Ultra just fits better.

If you go with the Fat Bob I am sure you will enjoy :D

Back