free website stats program Getting a Fat Bob | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Getting a Fat Bob

Cheers, Mark.
It's not an HD class so I'm not sure what they'll be using.
I don't know what kind of riding I'll be doing since I've never ridden before & none of my friends ride. However, I do know that now being in my mid-30's I'm looking for something a little easier on my back. I figure I'd be a local rider at first, but don't want to limit myself if I make new acquaintances & wanna venture further. Most signs are pointing to the Fat Bob. I think for me its a matter of what I liked more vs what I initially felt more comfortable on. Though, at 5'11" & 180 lbs I've been told that w/ a little practice/confidence the Big Bob really shouldn't be an issue.

I'm about 5'8" @ 215lbs . . . the Dyna certainly works better for me! I look at the soft tails . . . and I sometimes wish I'd purchased one of those . . . they are nice!

Mark - Thanks!:newsmile026:

I agree with all that's been posted so far. Get the Fat Bob! The Sportster is a great bike, for its intended purpose. Although it can be ridden that way, it was never meant to be a bike ridden with a passenger or on longer trips.

The Bob will take some practice at riding in the low speed regime but be patient, keep working at it, and it will become second nature. Other than that you will love riding it and not be limited as you might on the Sportster.

Besides, look at what your subconscious made you title this thread!

The Bob will take some practice at riding in the low speed regime but be patient, keep working at it, and it will become second nature. Other than that you will love riding it and not be limited as you might on the Sportster.

Besides, look at what your subconscious made you title this thread!

what about the Bob makes it harder to ride at slower speeds?

I love the Fat Bob! It rides like non other. You can push it in the corners and drag the pegs or just kick back and relax.
Also, I have the quick detach backrest, rack, and Memphis Shades Batwing fairing so I can quick change into a comfy tour ride or back to sport mode within seconds.
WAP.gif

Pretty much every Harley model is a challenge at low speeds, like maneuvering around in tight quarters like a crowded parking lot. These are big, heavy bikes! It just takes practice and confidence to get more comfortable riding in these situations. Take a class or get the Ride Like A Pro video series and you'll be well on your way. I've seen plenty of muscular and/or vertically challenged riders maneuver their bikes like the cops do after working at it for a while - men and women both.

All Harleys will maneuver funny at low speeds, nature of the beast. The Dyna series is a very good platform, Harley engineers use it for new product lines, SOOOOO the Dyna models are like a proto type so to speak:s

My first Harley was a Sportster, then I traded up to a Fat Bob. There was a big difference in slower speeds when I grabbed the front brakes quickly-- the handlebar jerked down away from me. I almost went down too, but my legs happened to be ready for the stop.

Another issue comes from the wider wheels-- I need to lean more into a turn to get the same angle as I did on the Sporty. I had to fight the feeling that I was falling into the middle of the intersection, knowing that going forward would keep me upright. For sharp fast turns, I stand on the foot pegs.

The best difference is that it stops better than any other motorcycle I have seen so far. It could be the two front disk brakes or the greater contact area to the ground. I have practiced panic stops on different types of surfaces and I cannot get it to skid, and I get no fishtail action.

Some say it takes 6 months to really get used to a new bike. Your mileage may vary. Local conditions can influence outcomes. There are no guarantees.

:s

When I recently told a friend of mine from out of state who rides that I was thinkin of getting my first bike/Harley & I was torn between a Forty-Eight & Fat Bob, he suggested the sportster for a reason I hadn't heard before: as a brand new rider I'm all but guaranteed to drop my bike at some point, & when I do it will be cheaper to repair the sportster than the dyna. Any thoughts?

When I recently told a friend of mine from out of state who rides that I was thinkin of getting my first bike/Harley & I was torn between a Forty-Eight & Fat Bob, he suggested the sportster for a reason I hadn't heard before: as a brand new rider I'm all but guaranteed to drop my bike at some point, & when I do it will be cheaper to repair the sportster than the dyna. Any thoughts?

Everyone who rides will drop their bike, even the most experienced riders have, That said a Sporster May be cheaper to fix, ride them both at your dealer open house and get a feel for what you are comfortable on and DO take the safety course

Back