free website stats program Getting a Fat Bob | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Getting a Fat Bob

When I recently told a friend of mine from out of state who rides that I was thinkin of getting my first bike/Harley & I was torn between a Forty-Eight & Fat Bob, he suggested the sportster for a reason I hadn't heard before: as a brand new rider I'm all but guaranteed to drop my bike at some point, & when I do it will be cheaper to repair the sportster than the dyna. Any thoughts?

It does not always work like that i dropped my softail in july i broke the heel rest of the left foot peg and bent the gear leaver as i was on tour my throw over bags were full and took most of the impact i got a couple of broken ribs cost to repair would have been the same softail or sportster
However sportster would not be as heavy and i may not have got the broke ribs but the last time i dropped a bike was in 1982 it has been a long time since i had used my bounce skills

Brian

.... it has been a long time since i had used my bounce skills

Brian

Brian - Ouch! Glad you are in one piece! So far, (knock on wood), I've only dropped a motorcycle once - my Honda CB450 while in college. Not nearly a heavy a ride as an H-D . . . very embarrassing . . . It had just stopped raining in Houston, on the way home; stopped at a light with bike in the center of the lane (nice and oily!!); took off at reasonable speed and the bike swapped ends on me . . bent the left peg and damaged the shifter . . . people stopped and asked if I was alright . . . fortunate for me only a bruised shin and ego!
I am currently running my 2011 FXDC with a chrome highway bar. Highway bars can certainly help minimize damage to bike at low speeds . . . like when I dropped my bike back then . . . .

Mark - Thanks!:newsmile026:

It does not always work like that i dropped my softail in july i broke the heel rest of the left foot peg and bent the gear leaver as i was on tour my throw over bags were full and took most of the impact i got a couple of broken ribs cost to repair would have been the same softail or sportster
However sportster would not be as heavy and i may not have got the broke ribs but the last time i dropped a bike was in 1982 it has been a long time since i had used my bounce skills

Brian

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Brian

I thought I was finally too good a biker to ever need "bounce skills" anymore...then guess what? About 2 years ago I went and had a little "whoopsie-daisy". Beat up my bike real good, and broke a small bone in my right hand and sprained my left ankle, and a real slight neck injury. I rode home with my handlebars bent like a pretzel and a crooked shifter, cracked headlight, no functioning gauges, and 2 out of 4 turnsignals dangling.

They say it happens to everyone eventually. Apparently it keeps on happening too even after you think you're an expert.

Back