free website stats program Fuel Savings | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Savings

Took my bike to work 1 time, I really just bought it as a toy and never wanted to have it for transportation although, I may ride it ocassionally to work if the weather permits.

Man I would ride all the time if I lived in Alabama. Even where I am at, I ride as much as possible. I have to wear a shirt and tie to work, and that doesn't stop me. I see other guys with a tie on as well, and we both seem to have that same evil smile going on.
Now, I can only do this on the ultra, and would never try to ride the XLCH with a shirt and tie on if I were going to work.

Been riding my Road King to work pretty much 11 months out of the year here in Virginia. Between what I spend on riding gear, bike upgrades, maintenance.....I agree it is probably a wash. But when I fugure in that

1) riding is what I like to do....(I get to enjoy my hobby to and from work - 27 miles each way)
2) I feel much better when I get to work
3) everyone at work gets to admire my ride........

The choice is obvious.

Been riding my Road King to work pretty much 11 months out of the year here in Virginia. Between what I spend on riding gear, bike upgrades, maintenance.....I agree it is probably a wash. But when I fugure in that

1) riding is what I like to do....(I get to enjoy my hobby to and from work - 27 miles each way)
2) I feel much better when I get to work
3) everyone at work gets to admire my ride........The choice is obvious.

Your point number 3 is probably the BEST justification for commuting to work yet!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmiley12:

I think we all ride for the smile it puts on our face and for the feeling we get. the $ saved we all seem to find new add ons for our rides. When I was on my way home today I started to think about this thread and I couldn't help but to laugh inside because of the smile I had on my face for riding on a nice sunny day with the temp in the low 80's. I thought "what money saved" (as I twisted the throttle) HAHA!

Hi all, I'm new here but I have something to add here. If you already want a Harley, and are willing to commute on it, then the cost savings coupled with the fact that you want the bike anyway will theoretically save money. Another way to view this is how much would your Harley cost you, not being used and parked in your garage.

I disagree with maintenance cost with the Harley. We are institutionalized to those cost. We all care about our bikes and maintain them more than is really practical. Harley does not require 3000 mile oil change, they recommend 5000, I don't change tires until I have to, in Texas that is when the inspection is due. If I get through inspection with a tire you can bet that it will last to the next inspection or until it gets dangerous. I don't consider the tire spent until the tread is gone and a MC tire will go from having some tread to none in just a couple of weeks, so you will know. Tread does nothing but channel water, when your tire is low on tread it has more tire against the pavement. Avoid inclement weather when pushing your tires. When you have to replace them shop them, you will be amazed how cheaply you can get a set. Stay out of the Harley shop for maintenance. Harley shops are for buying MCs, apparel, and gear. If it aint warranty work you don't need to be there. other than tires and oil, what maintenance are you looking at. I already talked about tires so lets go to the oil thing. Air-cooled cylinder walls are what causes the breakdown of oil. No other thing in the crank case can harm oil unless you have a unthinkable problem. Dino oil will easily go beyond any engine manufacturer recommended oil change, Harley wants you to change dino oil every 5000. Under normal driving conditions, hwy and expressway or minimum start stop you can easily push that oil out to 7500. If you are uncomfortable with that then you can go with numerous synthetic oils that will do that plus more. Amsoil for example will handle it. No matter what oil change interval you are comfortable with, you should be running synthetic in all your vehicles. I run synthetic and change at 7500 miles, I try to time my oil changes to where i get a new oil change in May so that I'm running new oil all summer. There will be many winter days when I'm not going to ride the bike then I get it out in the spring. In May I will change the oil either because it is a year old or has over 7500 miles on it. Timing is everything here. Do not change the oil in the in the transmission or chain case until it is required. We Harley drivers tend to want to change all fluids at one time because it's easy to do. Just not necessary. So the oil change is really fairly cheap if you think about it a little, 3.5 quarts of the best oil you can buy is about $27.00. Don't buy 15.00 oil filters, get a Wix for $5.50. Get a K&N air filter and keep it clean and I'm sure there are aftermarket fuel filters. Soooooo tires and fluids and great milage and the best ride you can have. what's the problem? Premium fuel is not necessary unless you are riding in extremely hot conditions. Always use premium for parade duty. Hopes this helps.

Man I would ride all the time if I lived in Alabama. Even where I am at, I ride as much as possible. I have to wear a shirt and tie to work, and that doesn't stop me. I see other guys with a tie on as well, and we both seem to have that same evil smile going on.
Now, I can only do this on the ultra, and would never try to ride the XLCH with a shirt and tie on if I were going to work.

Well I'm retired now so the work thingy doesn't fit the equation anymore. The road I traveled was full of contruction trucks and support vehicles so it was quite a nightmare to travel even in a car not to mention 2 wheels. I can hardly wait to get my bike fixed and up and running.

Hi all, I'm new here but I have something to add here. If you already want a Harley, and are willing to commute on it, then the cost savings coupled with the fact that you want the bike anyway will theoretically save money. Another way to view this is how much would your Harley cost you, not being used and parked in your garage.

I disagree with maintenance cost with the Harley. We are institutionalized to those cost. We all care about our bikes and maintain them more than is really practical. Harley does not require 3000 mile oil change, they recommend 5000, I don't change tires until I have to, in Texas that is when the inspection is due. If I get through inspection with a tire you can bet that it will last to the next inspection or until it gets dangerous. I don't consider the tire spent until the tread is gone and a MC tire will go from having some tread to none in just a couple of weeks, so you will know. Tread does nothing but channel water, when your tire is low on tread it has more tire against the pavement. Avoid inclement weather when pushing your tires. When you have to replace them shop them, you will be amazed how cheaply you can get a set. Stay out of the Harley shop for maintenance. Harley shops are for buying MCs, apparel, and gear. If it aint warranty work you don't need to be there. other than tires and oil, what maintenance are you looking at. I already talked about tires so lets go to the oil thing. Air-cooled cylinder walls are what causes the breakdown of oil. No other thing in the crank case can harm oil unless you have a unthinkable problem. Dino oil will easily go beyond any engine manufacturer recommended oil change, Harley wants you to change dino oil every 5000. Under normal driving conditions, hwy and expressway or minimum start stop you can easily push that oil out to 7500. If you are uncomfortable with that then you can go with numerous synthetic oils that will do that plus more. Amsoil for example will handle it. No matter what oil change interval you are comfortable with, you should be running synthetic in all your vehicles. I run synthetic and change at 7500 miles, I try to time my oil changes to where i get a new oil change in May so that I'm running new oil all summer. There will be many winter days when I'm not going to ride the bike then I get it out in the spring. In May I will change the oil either because it is a year old or has over 7500 miles on it. Timing is everything here. Do not change the oil in the in the transmission or chain case until it is required. We Harley drivers tend to want to change all fluids at one time because it's easy to do. Just not necessary. So the oil change is really fairly cheap if you think about it a little, 3.5 quarts of the best oil you can buy is about $27.00. Don't buy 15.00 oil filters, get a Wix for $5.50. Get a K&N air filter and keep it clean and I'm sure there are aftermarket fuel filters. Soooooo tires and fluids and great milage and the best ride you can have. what's the problem? Premium fuel is not necessary unless you are riding in extremely hot conditions. Always use premium for parade duty. Hopes this helps.

There are many opinions on tire life and when to replace them. The object of this thread was if fuel savings can justify commuting on your bike so IMO having tires with decent tread would is an absolute must......I have no crystal ball to check the weather and do get "caught out" from time to time on my commute to and from work. So for me I will change the tires to be sure if I get caught out I am good to go! As far as oil changes I go 5k.

I think this was intended to find out if someone considered buying a HD for the sake of saving on fuel costs. Many of us spend much more on riding gear, chrome, system upgrades, etc................................. then we would ever spend on our cage. And we take the long way home from work so most of us just don't care about fuel savings. This has been an interesting thread and I heve enjoyed following it.

You seam to have some strong feelings on this subject, and that is Ok with us. Most of the posting of opinions is done with the understanding that there are 100 opinions on every subject, so taking a strong stance on any one of them just won't get us to change our minds.

Let me say, welcome to HDT for starters, and on a final note; you have opened up about 50 cans of worms and mabe should start a seperate thread because this one is about to go spinning out of control.

Back