free website stats program Fuel Savings | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Savings

Good discussion here! Added HD maintenance costs probably make the fuel savings null and void but I think commuting to work on my harley is awesome! As far as the comment about a safe place to park I'm a full time member of the Army National Guard so the parking lot is under survailence!!!! And I park my bike next to about 10 other bikes in the summer.......more than half of those are HD!!!!

You just picked a topic that is a sore spot for some right now, being that it is almost nice enough to ride, but not quite the ideal temp. Most are just waiting to get out, and don't care what it costs for fuel. I know I should be happy, living in northern Wisconsin and already over 3200 miles this year, but with 9+" of snow on the way, I am more then a bit irritable right now. I suppose I should grab a 6-pak and a bottle of chrome polish, but then I have to turn on the heater in the garage etc. etc. Why can't it just get warm here like it was in Texas??

I realize you did say "on a Harley" --- but IF you bought one of those little 150cc scooters (I see a lot here in La. ) for about 3500 and it got about 100 mpg.........then you would soon be saving a bunch of money!!!!:bigsmiley12:

Please -- NOT trying to put anyone on anything other than a HD.

Bill

I suppose one of those highway legal scooters would be a great cost saver but.......yeah......no way I'm riding one of those if I have a harley in the garage next to it!!!!!!!:bigsmiley12:

I know what your saying about saving money on fuel and while it may not fully justify buying one the fact is that it will save you money in that aspect. I save an average af nearly $200 a month riding my '09 RK as opposed to my Ford F150 FX4. And you better believe I brought those figures out when selling my wife on the idea of me buying a @18,000 bike. Just to further prove that point I live in NW Indiana (15 min from university of norte dame), last year me and my wife went on an 8 day bike vacation through ohio, kentucky, tennesee and north carolina totaling just under 2000 miles, and from my driveway back to my driveway I spent $75 in premium gas. I can barely make it to indianpolis (roughly 2.5 hr drive) on one tank of regular gas in my truck that at the time cost me @$75. And one step further I just put a half tank of gas in my truck yesterday and it cost me $50 with reg gas at $3.69, and Im sure the price will only go up when summer hits. I hope this helps you some let us know how it turns out.

Wondering how you guys feel about your fuel savings running your bikes to work and if it justifies the purchase or not. Here is my commute story.......anyone else out there use their HD as a daily commuter?

I drive 68 miles one way to work and I did the math last week and in the car running regular gas I spend $17 a day on the commute.....with the FXDC running PREMIUM I will spend about $10 a day! I save about $100 a month on gas running the bike an average of 4 days a week in the summer!!!!!!!! Can't say it completely justifies the purchase of a $13,000 bike but it helps!!!!!!

I see quotes based on the assumption someone is thinking about buying a HD to save money. Those two concepts can never be used in the same thought. You buy a Harley because want to, or have dreamed of it all your life, (me). 'wacko' Because you already have a Harley, I sugess that your question is frilly conversation at best. (see smilly face)
:D

I know what your saying about saving money on fuel and while it may not fully justify buying one the fact is that it will save you money in that aspect. I save an average af nearly $200 a month riding my '09 RK as opposed to my Ford F150 FX4. And you better believe I brought those figures out when selling my wife on the idea of me buying a @18,000 bike. Just to further prove that point I live in NW Indiana (15 min from university of norte dame), last year me and my wife went on an 8 day bike vacation through ohio, kentucky, tennesee and north carolina totaling just under 2000 miles, and from my driveway back to my driveway I spent $75 in premium gas. I can barely make it to indianpolis (roughly 2.5 hr drive) on one tank of regular gas in my truck that at the time cost me @$75. And one step further I just put a half tank of gas in my truck yesterday and it cost me $50 with reg gas at $3.69, and Im sure the price will only go up when summer hits. I hope this helps you some let us know how it turns out.

So what your saying is you spent 18 thousand to save on gas??:D

It pays off BIG time for me. Enjoyment wise and in my pocket. It is 75 miles one way from my house to the office. 150 round trip. It cost me $38 a day in my truck and only $14 a day on my bike.

Cash per day saved = $24
Smile on my face because I'm riding = PRICELESS

Trucks are hard on gas...You wouldnt save much with a small car sir but the smile on my face would be priceless if we didnt have snow..Your just having to much fun..:(

Truck (Paid For)
Mileage: 18 mpg
Distance to work: 50mi
Fuel: 3.50/ gal
Monthly Fuel: $390.00

New Harley (Financed)
18000 + 40000 interest
22,000.00 (5 years)
$366.00/ month
48mpg est.
Monthly Fuel: $145.00

Monthly savings in fuel: $245.00

Now take the cost of any new vehicle which gets better economy.
In this case the new HD and minus the fuel you are saving.

$366.00 - $245 = -$121.00 (in the red) extra/month

For 60 months your cost is $7260.00 now to recover this loss you will need 30 months of added savings to recover this. So after 90 months or 7.5 years you have broken even and not saved a single dime. And all this is without the higher maintenance cost of the Harley. So what have we learned here? Buy the new vehicle because it makes you feel good and you want it. Not because you are saving bunches of money on gas; because you will not save any money for several years down the road.

Just responded on the other thread, if you want something to save money then buy something besides a Harley, get a scooter, small metric...They are cheaper and will save you more money on fuel...

If you are just trying to make some justification to your wife or someone just to support your desire to have a Harley, then yes your math makes sense, but as has been pointed out, all the stuff, registration, insurance, maintenance, maintentance, maintenance...add up to negate your savings.

I use mine to a daily commuter, when the weather is right, usually about 3-4 days a week. I love the ride and this is my time to ride that is the only reason I do it then (with a job, wife and 3 small kids not much other time) else I woud much rather use my bike just to get away for a few hours and just ride. That time will come someday.

I ride mine every day. I had a car, but it broke down. I drove it till the wheels fell off. I figure..Heck I live in Florida. I don't need another car. I have an 05 EGS, an it is now my car. 74,000 miles and runs great. I drive it everywhere even to the store for the wife. I don't care if I ever get another car. I would rather have a motorcycle.

Back