free website stats program Fuel Savings | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Savings

There are many opinions on tire life and when to replace them. The object of this thread was if fuel savings can justify commuting on your bike so IMO having tires with decent tread would is an absolute must......I have no crystal ball to check the weather and do get "caught out" from time to time on my commute to and from work. So for me I will change the tires to be sure if I get caught out I am good to go! As far as oil changes I go 5k.

+1
It is all risk management. Sure you can push more miles out of a tire. But, thinner tires are more prone to punture from debris or blow out in a maximum braking condition, that no one can predict, much less the weather. Obviously, your ride, you decide, but my risk management approach if different when I add up the probable costs from having a front tire go down at 70mph.

I think Ferrel Hog's gist that maintenance costs could be much less, if you follow the HD requirements as opposed to doing things more often, is valid. But it sounds like it is also suggested that pushing the manual recommended limits on fluid changes and tire life is risk free. Maybe I am interpreting that incorrectly, but I disagree. In general, more maintenance will give you more life out of a vehicle.

I read an interesting article recently. Think it was in either American Bagger magazine or in the AMA magazine. Talked about tire wear vs. traction... flat tire probabilities, etc. Was really well researched and written. However, I still agree with Porter... it's all about risk management. Can't remove all risk... but, you can manage and minimize it.

So, Whacko,
After all the comments and thoughts here in this thread, you went out and bought that HD, right????

Seems that is the clearly the consensus!!!:D:D:D:D

So, Whacko,
After all the comments and thoughts here in this thread, you went out and bought that HD, right????

About whacko
Bike Models
Dyna Models
Primary Bike Type
2010 dyna super glide custom
Primary Owned Year

I think he was way ahead of this post.

So, Whacko,

Oh I already have the bike! And I commute on it daily in the summer! And I know there is no way I can justify it by saying it is better on fuel. I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there that can justify the fuel savings! It has been an interesting thread to follow though.......

Oh I already have the bike! And I commute on it daily in the summer! And I know there is no way I can justify it by saying it is better on fuel. I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there that can justify the fuel savings! It has been an interesting thread to follow though.......

All I can say is no matter what my commute is much better during the summer, even when I am stuck in traffic. At least I get to sit, look around and enjoy the asphalt smell. $$$ Who cares, my mind goes completely away from work during the summer, cannot say the same when I am stuck in the car during the winter months. Worth every penny extra or less.

:DWHACKO....I replace my tires way before you do .Do you realy feal safe riding on Tires with no tread?..:D...Just asking...Tires are one thing I myself would skimp on...Your ride your life..BE carful

About whacko
Bike Models
Dyna Models
Primary Bike Type
2010 dyna super glide custom
Primary Owned Year

I think he was way ahead of this post.

Thanks Dr. Evil.
Sorry Whacko.

Brain disconnected. Your info was sitting right in front of me, but from reading the posts, I somehow inferred that you were trying to justify a future purchase. Oh well....I'll try to pay attention next time...:D

:DWHACKO....I replace my tires way before you do .Do you realy feal safe riding on Tires with no tread?..:D...Just asking...Tires are one thing I myself would skimp on...Your ride your life..BE carful

I will be sure to keep my tread fresh.....someone else posted they run em till there is none! I commute on my bike and never know if I'll get caught out./

I will be sure to keep my tread fresh.....someone else posted they run em till there is none! I commute on my bike and never know if I'll get caught out./

Very sorry sir,:bigsmiley12:.That was for mr farrell hog...I would hate to see a tire blowout on a bike...OUCH.:(

Back