free website stats program Fuel Savings | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Savings

It was more just wonering how many guys out there commute on their HD and if they think the fuel saving justifies it.......I know with my commute it does not justify the purchase......but taking the long way home on a summer Friday night is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Whacko-- you are dangerous when it comes to starting a thread!!!!!

I don't know, I think my Sporty might actually save me a bit of money.

I drive an '03 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7L Hemi to work. 30 miles, all interstate, each way. I also have a big dog box on the back of it (I dog-sled as a hobby). I get about 12-13 mpg on the highway with it.

I got my '08 Sporty 883 (with 6000 miles) for about $4500. It took some elbow grease and a couple of hundred bucks, but I have it running really good, fixed up, and ready to go (dang repos!).

I'd be willing to bet that this bike is going to pay for itself with gas savings. And I live in Michigan! No 12 months of riding for me! :D

Speaking of which, does anyone know what a stock 883 Sportster (fuel injected) gets on the highway? I'll find out in due-time, but it would be nice to have some heads up.

Doug

The only time I had to justify anything was with my first wife. I ride because that's what I love to do, don't care if it costs more or less. I too was riding 60 miles one way to work, made going to work enjoyable.

I realize you did say "on a Harley" --- but IF you bought one of those little 150cc scooters (I see a lot here in La. ) for about 3500 and it got about 100 mpg.........then you would soon be saving a bunch of money!!!!:bigsmiley12:

Please -- NOT trying to put anyone on anything other than a HD.

Bill

Actually have commuted on both Harley 1200cc (most of the time), tried riding a Vespa 200cc (only a few times)...and yes H-D gets about 42-45 mpg :s depending on how much in town driving, or Vespa gets about 68-71 mpg :p. Fun factor...H-D rocks, probably cause I am an "old fashioned biker"...the Vespa just different, certainly handles streets and highway just fine. Honestly I can certainly see what all the "new wave" fuss is about, Italian iron just looks good and has "style"...does feel a little "squirrely" though.

As far as service...no contest Vespa is virtually maintenanace free, electric start, water cooled single, takes 1.2 quarts oil, rear hub 1/4 quart gear oil, belt driven centrifugal clutch (no shifting) and really kicks regarding acceleration up to 70mph easily and brakes that can do "stoppies" if your not careful. Oh, and with the utmost respect to Smitty, I put on my Cortech jacket, and keep my H-D logo stuff to a minimum, my gal has an authentic Vespa leather trimmed helmet, and always fashionable...ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!!:small3d031:

Last edited:
Took my bike to work 1 time, I really just bought it as a toy and never wanted to have it for transportation although, I may ride it ocassionally to work if the weather permits.

Same as Jack, I don't own a car. My roundtrip commute is a total of about 25 miles each day. Maintenance is higher on an HD if you are not doing some things yourself. Savings for me is one less car to pay for, insure and maintain.

The plus is 365 days of two wheeling. :s

Now I can see how you and jack can make this work...:D..You guys dont get winters like we do up here..Just the bike to pay for....With no car you must ride in all wether..

Hmmm. Seems like you may be trying to work up the rationale about why you NEED to buy a Harley to commute in order to explain that to THE BOSS. Sorry, Bud. Ain't gonna fly. Just admit to her that you WANT it! Save the silver bullet until you need it. She is not gonna fall for all that saving on commuting jazz unless she has NO girl friends whose boy friends or husbands have bikes - in which case hurry!!

On the details side, I ride my bike to work every day that the weather permits (not riding in the rain!). My bike is costing me approaching $0.11/mi. in fuel. My car is around $0.16/mi. This is fuel charge only and does not include all operating costs. So hard to justify it there. But the "fun" factor has to be measured in dollars not sense!! :s

TQ

Last edited:
Back