free website stats program Fuel Savings | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Savings

If it were me I'd save my harley for week end cruises and buy a second cheaper used JAP bike , maybe a 500-750 in that range . JMO .

Unless you buy a mopped there is no way to justify a motorcycle other than to just say I wanted it

I guess I've been both lucky and patient. I owned a Yamaha 500 or 600 something or other but it was because of default on a loan. Borrowed a guy some money, he couldn't pay me back so he gave me the bike. I would have rather he kept the bike and just gave me a few bucks here and there. I ended up selling the bike for what he owed me when it was worth more. Was a bad spot to be put in, but what are you going to do???
I guess you can say I've had bad luck with jap bikes, so I choose to stay away. Besides the Harleys I have owned, I also own an AMF Sportster. Again, just lucky though.

Unless you buy a mopped there is no way to justify a motorcycle other than to just say I wanted it
Hit the nail on the head Smitty. Up here I might get to ride 7 months of the year, with heated clothes but my Harley is totally justified. I worked hard for years, I could afford one and I'm worth it.

I laugh whenever I think about me saving money by taking my bike to work, which I do, whenever there is little to no chance of rain. For sure I save quite a bit on fuel compared to my car but, and here's the funny part, because I love to ride I can't tell you how many days after work that I didn't go straight home! Nope, I kept on riding putting on easily another 50 miles to my daily commute. So if I really wanted to save $$$ I would go right home after work instead of racking up the miles. So in my case it is a balancing act between saving money on the coast of gas and pleasure riding. Many times the pleasure riding wins out hands down.

Ya, I didn't read all the posts but I agree with most that cost per mile maybe a little better. Not much. You might factor in Gerbings gear for the morning commute and rain gear for sure. Gotta say though, Ya just can't beat the long way home on a sunny summer night!

I have never took my bike aneywhere to save gas. When I bought my bike I didnt ask or care what my fatboy gets for gas mileage. When I drive it I dont drive it in a way to save gas..I never said huney I want to spend 17 thousand, but look all the money i will be saving on gas..If I wanted to save money...HELLOW..I never would have got the bike.The amount of money we spend on our bikes, and some still think thair saving money.:small3d031:But Im ok if it makes ya feel good. Just saying:D..

I have only 2 miles to work. Travel time in truck...5 minutes
The very few times I took my bike, travel time...35 minutes- I took the long way.:D

For me... almost ANYTHING can justify having to buy a Harley. Saw a humming bird, I need a new bike because the weather will be too nice to only have one. Ran out of beer, lets stop and get a new HD on the way, it will save money instead of making two trips. Etc...

I see quotes based on the assumption someone is thinking about buying a HD to save money. Those two concepts can never be used in the same thought. You buy a Harley because want to, or have dreamed of it all your life, (me). 'wacko' Because you already have a Harley, I sugess that your question is frilly conversation at best. (see smilly face)
:D

It was more just wonering how many guys out there commute on their HD and if they think the fuel saving justifies it.......I know with my commute it does not justify the purchase......but taking the long way home on a summer Friday night is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back