free website stats program Fuel mileage | Page 14 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel mileage

I've figured out how Harley gets their 54 mpg ratings, they use Canadian gallons. Our gallon (Imperial) is 160 ounces. While we were touring north-east Minnesota last week we were getting 44-45 mpg. When I converted that to Imperial gallons our mileage was 54-55 mpg. :D

I wasn't sure how to check my mpg, so I drained the gas tank completely, put in exactly one gallon of gas, and rode until I ran out. I went exactly 40 miles, but now I'm 40 miles from home and out of gas. HELP!!! :(

(ok, this was supposed to be a joke. I'm not really that goofy) :D

I have a 97 Ultra that has been worked over, it has 9.5:1 compression Andrews EV27 cam fueling lifters Dobeck fuel manager SE mufflers the heads are ported and flowed and I get 50mpg highway/two-up and cruising at about 70mph. Solo city/rural mix I still get 50mpg. I have a load of power and rarely have to downshift. I use Amzoil 20-50 and Bel-ray in the gear boxes.

I wasn't sure how to check my mpg, so I drained the gas tank completely, put in exactly one gallon of gas, and rode until I ran out. I went exactly 40 miles, but now I'm 40 miles from home and out of gas. HELP!!! :(

Pre planning, that's what it all about.:D

1 imperial gallon of petrol would be in the post but i do not have the post code to send it to :p

Brian

2001 Heritage - 88cid - stage one - 5 sp tranny - riding 2 up ~47-50 mpg every time I check it.

Bill

Wow!!!! I'm not doubting you, but that seems pretty high to me. I only get 40 at best riding solo. Same motor, same tranny. Are you carb, or FI??? Do you have a windshield??? That probably increases some mpg if you don't, but not that much.

1 imperial gallon of petrol would be in the post but i do not have the post code to send it to :p

Brian

Thanks for the offer Brian, but I could walk the 40 miles faster than getting a gallon of gas sent from Scotland.

Love the "post", "wee bit", "petrol", and other Scottish terms you use. :cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the offer Brian, but I could walk the 40 miles faster than getting a gallon of gas sent from Scotland.

Love the "post", "wee bit", "petrol", and other Scottish terms you use. :cheers

I try to use just a wee bit of how i would say it where it may not lead to misunderstanding sometimes the spelling here is different and sometimes the words for the same stuff are different and i try to stay with my own language as much as possible

Brian

Back