free website stats program Fuel mileage | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel mileage

TQuentin1

Staff member
Folks,

I see a lot of chatter about fuel mileage. Let's see some data.

Tell us your model, engine size, tranny, mods, type of riding (mostly highway or traffic - stop n go), with or without passenger.

I am adding a separate chart for the Sportsters.

TQ

Attachments

• Sporty GPM.jpg
    Sporty GPM.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 235
  • Big bike mileage.jpg
    Big bike mileage.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Good post TQ, I usually figure my fuel mileage after every fill up. (Bad habit, I do that for all my vehicles). The best I ever got was 49.7, the worst was 40.2. Generally I average about 45 mpg. I have V&H pipes & the stage 1 as far as I know. Otherwise stock. I think it is the 88/1450 engine. (Sometimes I get dyslexic with the numbers). :s

This is based on a mix of highway riding, country back roads, and some town. The high figure was a lot of highway, back & forth to work in light traffic, the low, well, that may have had some hot dogging mixed in with some stop & go. That is about as documented as I get. Looking forward to seeing the other results.

2008 FLHX with entirely stock TC96 engine/exhaust. Normal city/country solo riding gives me around 45MPG. More highway riding bumps it up to 50 to 52MPG. I've read that as the motors age, the mileage may actually go up a bit. The only thing I care about is that no what type of riding I do, I'm getting unlimited Smiles Per Gallon!!

Joy,

That is very good mileage from my vantage point. My Ultra has NEVER gotten over 40. The chart attached is my fuel mileage over the past year or so. I too check and record everytime I fill up. Looking at the chart, the blue is the mpg, and the green is the $/mile. Trend lines are to see what is happening on a rolling basis.

• '03 Ultra Classic
  • 88 ci
  • SE high flow air filter
  • SE slant cut slip ons
  • SE 6-speed
  • Amsoil 20W-50 motorcycle engine oil, Spectro 6-speed tranny oil, Spectro primary oil
  • Mostly stop-n-go on daily commute to work with some highway
  • Peaks on chart are day trips - highway

TQ

Attachments

• Big bike mileage.pdf
    12.7 KB · Views: 340
Joy,

That is very good mileage from my vantage point. My Ultra has NEVER gotten over 40. The chart attached is my fuel mileage over the past year or so. I too check and record everytime I fill up. Looking at the chart, the blue is the mpg, and the green is the $/mile. Trend lines are to see what is happening on a rolling basis.

• '03 Ultra Classic
  • 88 ci
  • SE high flow air filter
  • SE slant cut slip ons
  • SE 6-speed
  • Amsoil 20W-50 motorcycle engine oil, Spectro 6-speed tranny oil, Spectro primary oil
  • Mostly stop-n-go on daily commute to work with some highway
  • Peaks on chart are day trips - highway

TQ

I'm certainly no expert but I'm going to say the combination of the SE air filter and the stop n go traffic is what's keeping your average mileage lower than most.

I did forget to mention that I have a 2005 deuce. I wish I had the time to figure out how to do the charts & graphs. I am having a hard enough time switching from a PC to a Mac. I may try something with Excel, enter the data and see what happens. I just have a fairly decent memory sometimes (mostly for useless knowledge) and can remember the highs and lows. Hey, here's one to make everyone feel good: for my bucket truck at work, the boom runs off the engine, so the more I work the worse my mileage gets, best mpg was 22 driving highway to Buffalo, NY and the worst was 3.7mpg just working. Overall on that I get 8-10 mpg. :D

Lets see if I can Add to the this

2008 TC96
3800 Miles On It
SE High Flow Air Filter
Sert
Rinehart 2 into 2 short/staggered
SERT
Dyno-84hp 89tq
M-1 Vtwin In The Motor
HD-F+ In the Primary
Spectro In The Trans (Thanks Glider!)

Mostly Around Town, Back Road/Country Road Riding, 25 Mile Round Trip To Work Per Day / 5 Days A Week.

Max MPG Has Been 42mpg On Long Distance Runs **(I think dropping it into 6th at 60/65mph is what helps the mpg on the long runs IMO)**
Average Daily Riding Is 38mpg **( Mostly 4th gear and some 5th gear riding)**

I am Happy with what i am getting, I guess with more miles on it, it may improve (Or stop twisting the Throttle!)

Last edited:
2006 FXDBI Street Bob
AN Big Sucker Air Intake
Thunderheader Exhaust
SERT - Not sure what the settings are, never dynoed
I think that is all, purchased it with this stuff.

Had it for the last 1000 miles and from what I remember, I have gotten between 42 and 48 MPG.

Mostly take it on the commute to work, which are backroads, but stil do mostly 50, with a few sections down to 25, then some highway at 60-70MPH.

I'm pleased with the MPG, but not as pleased as I am with just being on the road...priceless.

Hmm, you all are doing much better than I am. My 03 RG with V&H 2into1 and KN air filter and Revtech DFO only got 31.5 on my last fill up. I will keep watching it and see if that changes. I had some repair work on the bike during the last fill up cycle, so maybe next time will be better. 31.5 seems awfully low.

Hmm, you all are doing much better than I am. My 03 RG with V&H 2into1 and KN air filter and Revtech DFO only got 31.5 on my last fill up. I will keep watching it and see if that changes. I had some repair work on the bike during the last fill up cycle, so maybe next time will be better. 31.5 seems awfully low.

That does seem suspiciously low - you might as well trade in the bike for a Toyota!

:p :p :p

Back