free website stats program Engine clatter | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine clatter

I am a perfectionist by nature...with my first Harley..add the paranoia of being not able to afford major repairs...and you will understand why I ask too many questins. I installed adjustable pushrods and the engine ticking is much more normal. However the tone of my exhaust has changed noticebly. The deep throaty sound of my Pro Pipe is now more crisp and a little higher pitched. Is that good or bad? I changed primary fluid to Spectro...There was a small amount of very fine metal on the magnet...about the size of a matchhead. Is that normal? The chain had adjusted itself to 1/2 inch of upward slack..it is still a little noisey. The compensator bolt is tight. I didn't take it off..but checked it with torque wrench. i really appreciate your help..and this website...being a hermit..I would be lost without it.

I am a perfectionist by nature...with my first Harley..add the paranoia of being not able to afford major repairs...and you will understand why I ask too many questins. I installed adjustable pushrods and the engine ticking is much more normal. However the tone of my exhaust has changed noticebly. The deep throaty sound of my Pro Pipe is now more crisp and a little higher pitched. Is that good or bad? I changed primary fluid to Spectro...There was a small amount of very fine metal on the magnet...about the size of a matchhead. Is that normal? The chain had adjusted itself to 1/2 inch of upward slack..it is still a little noisey. The compensator bolt is tight. I didn't take it off..but checked it with torque wrench. i really appreciate your help..and this website...being a hermit..I would be lost without it.

:s I think you got it close now, you will never get ALL the noise out of the valve train IMO just nature of the air cooled beast, a bit of fuzz on the magnet will be normal wear and tear from the internal parts, if you are over concerned change it more often, the exhaust sound will change as the valves are @ proper adjustment Ride that horse and keep an eye out for unusual noises:s

Thanks..you have no idea how much experienced advice means...I live in the middle of nowhere..no other harley riders around. I love the way the bike sounds now..so gonna leave it the way it is...until I can do some up-grades...

Thanks..you have no idea how much experienced advice means...I live in the middle of nowhere..no other harley riders around. I love the way the bike sounds now..so gonna leave it the way it is...until I can do some up-grades...

:p I know your area well, and used to ride from mN to Sturgis every year They sure are some Bad lands:p

Back