free website stats program Engine clatter | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine clatter

The baker website not only povides and alternative..but tells how to check tension...My chain is about right now...hope it stays that way. Thanks

:s Keep us updated on how it goes, I think there will be more riders interested in your fix Good Luck:rider

no adjustment hole...the gaskets and oil are expensive...and a 140 mile round trip to get them..every 5,000 miles....I will be due for maintenance again...by the time I am thru fetchin parts...lol

=====================================================

I will let u know how it works out. Raining now...75 yards of muddy dirt road to the pavement...will be a day or two before I can test ride it.

=====================================================

Last edited by a moderator:
It was dry enough for test ride today...after just a few miles the primary started whining..so I came home..pulled the inspection cover. The auto adjuster tightened up more and was much too tight. So now at least i know what a tight chain sounds like. "Even while it was too tight the rattling noise didnt change.
I took the adjuster out..and reset it back to where it was a little bit too loose. Another test ride..whine is gone clatter is the same. I'm gonna just live with it until I can change compensator, adjuster and all. In the mean time gonna install the adjustable push rods..even tho the sound is loudest from the primary (garden hose stethescope) What ever it is...I hope it is not doing too much damage.

My '08 has clattered since new. Now 65,000 miles it still does it. I have taken it to three dealers over the years and they all say it is fine. I have replaced the compensator with the SE compensator and put a new auto chain adjuster in. Still clatters. No other problems with the bike.

By the way, it only does it until everything is warmed up. Then all is quiet. (Well quiet for a Harley.)

I have time to install my adjustable p rods today. Do you think I should adjust them a little longer to begin with?

I have time to install my adjustable p rods today. Do you think I should adjust them a little longer to begin with?

What is the Thread size OR what do they suggest on your Push-Rods ?

My SE slender tapers call out for 2.5 and I use 3.0 to 1 or 2 more flats on my 09 using SE255 cams.

signed....BUBBIE

I started at recomended length...+1 flat...will see how that sounds. I am at 2.75 turns now. Waiting for lifters to bleed down. Right after I cut the first p-rod...I realized...I shouldn't be trying this....lol

Installed the the pushrods...started up...no banging...now sounds like..all four are ticking a little...but not nearly as loud as before. sounds much better than one really loud one...will wait out the rain and ride it..before I try to adjust more.
Still have the chain rattle...That will have to wait for another day....payday that is......
Thanks for the advice...

Back