free website stats program Engine clatter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine clatter

Jerking at low speeds...runs great otherwise...has plenty of power...engine seems much quieter in fifth and sixth gear.

This clatter noise, can you be more specific? Jerking at slow speeds is typical of a loose primary chain, may be the comp sprocket bolt is backing off?

Does not have ajustable push rods...also noticed that the pipes are bolted to the heads much tighter than specs....should V&H pipes be tightened to same specs as factory?

Thanks...that is what I suspected...guess Saturday afternooon..is a good day to pull the primary cover...

Last edited by a moderator:
Does not have ajustable push rods...also noticed that the pipes are bolted to the heads much tighter than specs....should V&H pipes be tightened to same specs as factory?

Yes 10 fy lbs, with OEM H D gaskets for best results, I like anti sieze on the studs with new nuts and lock washers:s

Thanks everyone...gonna go wrench now...70 miles just to get gasket...they don't call this the Badlands for nothin....Wonder why the pics of my bike dont show on my posts? Have a groovy day...

Thanks everyone...gonna go wrench now...70 miles just to get gasket...they don't call this the Badlands for nothin....Wonder why the pics of my bike dont show on my posts? Have a groovy day...

You ARE Probably TOO NEW:newsmile03: Need More Post ??

They all do that. DON'T Believe it... My 09 is quiet as a Church Mouse and I run a SE255 cam/SE slender taper adjustable'.:s

My bet if Not the Loose primary ... A bad lifter. ?? is the noise of CLICK moving with the idle up or down to match engine speed..

That noise Could be a bad lifter.. I'd snip the HD P-rods OUT and install SE slender taper, Just Because, I can adjust out a lifter to quiet it (usually):D

just my way

Proper clutch adjustment WILL Help also ? while you are there anyways

Harley Davidson Community

signed....BUBBIE

What grade oil are you using. I have always noticed more engine noise, especially valve train noise, with engines using synthetic. Hard to know what your hearing but if I was really concerned, I would also measure the oil pressure. I run 20/50 Dino blend and for the most part it is quiet. There is one narrow window (2000-2200) where I can hear the valve-train.
Oil grade and type has a lot to do with it when using hydraulic lifters.

Chain slack changes a bunch from hot to cold. When cold, there is excessive slack. Measuring cold is not a true indication of tension. It is better to have it on the loose side then on the tight side.

Pulled the derby cover...cuz I already had a gasket...was a little over full...up to the top of the adjuster plate. drained a little. turned the engine over ..with plug wires off...the adjuster came up a little...gonna go ride it a little ...It had syn3 in it when i got it..tried HD 20-50 dino...didn't change noise....so running Mobil1 Synthetic now. gonna go see if too much oil was part of the problem..thanks

Maybe ajustables will be the answer...kinda want to do some stuff like that anyway...Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me,, finding neutral with best shifting=> Primary oil level shown in pdf with bike upright.
If there is something better, let me know.

Attachments

• Oil_Level.pdf
    447 KB · Views: 33
Rode 75 miles to the dealership yesterday...bought SE tapered adjustable p rods. Also got exhaust flange gaskets...Fired up to leave ...no noise. Parts still in saddlebag. Guess i dont really have to fix things on my Harley....just as long as I spend the money...lol..

Back