free website stats program Engine clatter | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine clatter

Rode 75 miles to the dealership yesterday...bought SE tapered adjustable p rods. Also got exhaust flange gaskets...Fired up to leave ...no noise. Parts still in saddlebag. Guess i dont really have to fix things on my Harley....just as long as I spend the money...lol..

Funny how that works!:tounge

As long as you keep the parts close at hand then all will be well as soon as you part with them the problem will resurface

Brian

Too windy to ride today...and this problem went away temporarilly once before..as a matter of fact..the last time I went to the dealership.....hmmm?...maybe they dump a can of STP in while I am at the parts counter..lol gonna put the new parts on today...ride when the wind dies down.

Had some time yesterday..so I pulled primary cover..Adjusted clutch...The chain was loose ...I think...don't know how tight it is supposed to be...no help in the 09 manual.
I tapped on the wedge that tightens the auto adjuster..it moved forward..and tightened the chain a little. Compensator was not loose. Started it up...clatter was completely gone..just a whirring sound..a little louder than normal at first...then as the whirring subsided the clatter began to come back..a little...then it started to pour down rain..so cant test ride yet. If the rattling gets louder again..I will replace the tensioner...should I get the stock tensioner...or is there a better option?

Had some time yesterday..so I pulled primary cover..Adjusted clutch...The chain was loose ...I think...don't know how tight it is supposed to be...no help in the 09 manual.
I tapped on the wedge that tightens the auto adjuster..it moved forward..and tightened the chain a little. Compensator was not loose. Started it up...clatter was completely gone..just a whirring sound..a little louder than normal at first...then as the whirring subsided the clatter began to come back..a little...then it started to pour down rain..so cant test ride yet. If the rattling gets louder again..I will replace the tensioner...should I get the stock tensioner...or is there a better option?

This whole post has gotten me startled. My bike exhibits the same behavior as you describe -> nervous behavior and pulling me forth & back at crawl speeds in 1st gear..

Please update your post so that I know how you fixed it :)

Thanks!

This whole post has gotten me startled. My bike exhibits the same behavior as you describe -> nervous behavior and pulling me forth & back at crawl speeds in 1st gear..

Please update your post so that I know how you fixed it :)

Thanks!

Can you explain a bit more? These 6 speeds are geared so high even first gear feels like2nd when rolling at low speeds, IMO the 5 speed was a better tranny, and I lived through the days when we swore hear no EVO ride NO Evo

thanks....I could revert to a manual tensioner...which...from my limited experience..might be a leap forward. I am running the Harley formula plus in my primary..is there a better oil?

thanks....I could revert to a manual tensioner...which...from my limited experience..might be a leap forward. I am running the Harley formula plus in my primary..is there a better oil?

Formula plus is good have used it for years with no problems, the old tensioners were fool proof, the only problem i see is the new covers have NO adjustment hole

The baker website not only povides and alternative..but tells how to check tension...My chain is about right now...hope it stays that way. Thanks

Back