free website stats program Elbow pain | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Elbow pain

I adjusted my bars back about 2", made all the difference in the world. Now its like you reach out without stretching and hands just lay on grips.
I also had the nice big foam grips installed which eliminated vibs in hands.
I have a 2010 FatBoy.
wilks3

Likely the reach to the handlebars to too far or high...this put a big stain on your arms trying to support your upper torso in the wind. Add to that your hand controls may not be at the correct angle so you are essentially doing pull ups AND acuating stiff or mis-adjusted controls.

Are your handlebars conventional in that you can roll the grips/bar ends closer to you and have you adjusted and lubricaed the clutch and controls...do consider an EZ clutch mod to energy at the lever by 1/3 or so. Same thing goes with the brake lever, (not so much adjustment here) but you should not have to reach and be able to howl the brakes with a 2 finger squeeze.

Sitting on the bike relaxed, close your eyes and reach up to the grips and controls...your hands should naturally find them without peeking. Have a helper hold the bike upright and check your fit with the foot controls...there should be no cramping in the shins or calves when on top of the pedals.

What he said, I was trying to figure out a way to describe a proper fit, but he pretty much nailed it.

I think custom/cool looking bars are great, on a bar hopper, but not for touring. PROPER fitting bars should let you ride 10+ hours a day and never cause you grief. Also, a windshield will reduce the wind pressure on your chest and let you relax, instead of having to use extra muscle in your arms, stomache and back to compensate.

If I cannot comfortable lay my wrists on the bars, or have to strain to do it, the bars are a tad too long for me to be comfortable on long rides. The same goes for my foot pegs, I must be able to lay my ankles on them when my legs are straight so that when my feet are on the pegs my knees are slightly bent.

This is what makes riding very comfortable for me anyway, everyone probably has different comfort zones. I hope this thread has helped you, and others. I am loving this forum. I have been riding since I was 6 yrs old on all types of two wheeled motorized vehicles, and there is still a LOT of incredible stuff here for me to learn about daily.

It didn`t take me long to decide this forum is a place I will benefit from greatly, and therefore I felt a donation was in order...

Did a few back to back 300 mile days recently and after the second day my right elbow was very painful. I tried to do everything I could while riding to relieve the pain, throtle lock, frequently changing arm position, etc. Tuesday, 800 mg motrin were all that helped me make it through the day. Is there something I am doing wrong? Death grip on the throttle? Locked elbows? Your insight is appreciated.

Years ago I suffered from tennis elbow and carpal tunnel on my right elbow and wrist. For me, every day I would just do stretches to both arms. Extend the arms fully including your fingers so you feel the pull from fingertips to shoulder. It helps with the blood flow which is being restricted by the inflammation in the joints.

Did a couple of hundred miles today, the elbow got a little stiff, but, I haven't been on the bike for a week. Have been working out with weights, and squeezing a rubber ball several times a day. Took some motrin before the ride, and at lunch. Seems to be working pretty well. If all else fails, I guess I could get an RX for Medical Marijuanna.

I really don't want to be preachy here but when any of us lucky members of this forum have a problem with our bikes - we describe the symptoms and then the knowledge and experience of the collective analyses the data, perhaps suggests some inspection or special tests, conclusions are reached which is a diagnosis of the problem and finally one solution or a number of valid options are presented - treatment.

Joints are far more complex than man made machines. I really recommend that you have your elbow assessed by a physiotherapist or medical person so that the condition is identified correctly and then the old chestnut that travels so well can be applied: Treat the Cause.

Common things being common - you are probably doing the right things by using rest, stretching and strengthening exercises, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory meds and checking you have a comfortable riding position - but I'd still get it checked out if it's been eating you. Just my 2c:s

Some pull back bars may help, and taking a 500mg of B12 has helped me a bunch, the
B12 seems to help all the joints with aches&pains, is it payback for abuse when I was younger and played sports and generally abused my body? Narproxen Sodium (200mg) before a long ride works for me also. It's hell to get old...but beats the only other option...

What you probably have is a tendinosis (lack of blood supply to the tendon causing damage) or tendinitis (imflammation of the tendon) from prolonged overuse and spasm of the extensor muscles of the forearm. Both are commonly called tennis elbow. Prolonged muscle spasm and tension / pressure on the tendon can cause a wringing out of the blood supply within the tendon leanding to damage, or microscopic tearing of the common tendon of the muscles that allow you to power grip and extend the hand and fingers. Easily treated if that is the case.

Since it is most frequently a cumulative trauma condition, meaning microscopic damage that slowly develops over time, the treatment starts with first identifying and modifying the activities that cause the stress in the first place. ALot of the damage may be coming from repetitive hand movements at home and on the job that involve repetitive bending of the wrist ( as with hand tools, keyboards, etc) or repetitive power gripping (handtools, steering wheels, handles, or in the case of scooting, the power gripping the brake or throttle handles inappropriately)

Here are some things to look out for. Keep a loose but controlling grip on the throttle and do not keep the fingers constantly on the brake (or clutch) pull as this is stressful when maintained for long times. Use your cruise control when you can.

Keep the wrist from excessively bending when using the throttle or when using tools or your hands on the job.

If on a long ride, stretch the forearms when you take a break or at a traffic light. Pumping the fist open and closed repetitively 20 times also stimulates blood flow into the forearm muscles.

the use of a Cho Pat strap across the forearm can take pressure off of the tendon to give some temporary relief. (you can google cho pat)

You can treat the inflammation and muscle spasm of the back of the forearm by starting with cold compresses (ice) at the outside of the elbow where the tendons attach to the bone. this where your pain probably is. Apply for 15 minutes at a time several times a day. Motrin or other antiinflammatory meds will help too. After a day or two of ice you can begin to stretch and strip the muscles of the outer forearm. Using a hand cream, soapy water or other lubricant, you can strip the muscles by pressing in on the muscles with the thumb of the other hand just below the elbow and strip down toward the hand with pressure in the direction of the bones about 1/3 to half way down the forearm. Do not press directly on the boney area that hurts or the tendon itself within an inch of that boney prominence. You want to press on the meaty areas only as this is the muscle. Also do not press within 4 inches of the wrist as this is where the tendons and nerves are vulnerable to injury. Strip the muscle down about 20 times. It will hurt. You do not want to get black and blue after however.

After stripping the muscle you can stretch it by making a closed fist and with the other hand bend the wrist gently as far down as you can go without pain. Normal range of motion is about a 90 degree bend at the wrist without pain or pulling sensation in the muscle. If you have pain in the wrist, or significant pulling in the muscle itself, you have some damage there.

Finish with a heat pack for 10 - 15 minutes or so to increase blood flow into the muscle. If you find increased discomfort after the heat, use ice instead.

Do this once or twice each day and this will speed up your recovery significantly as well stimulate muscle regeneration. Strengthening exercises for the wrist extensors (bending wrist back) will also help.

Good luck.

I really don't want to be preachy here but when any of us lucky members of this forum have a problem with our bikes - we describe the symptoms and then the knowledge and experience of the collective analyses the data, perhaps suggests some inspection or special tests, conclusions are reached which is a diagnosis of the problem and finally one solution or a number of valid options are presented - treatment.

Joints are far more complex than man made machines. I really recommend that you have your elbow assessed by a physiotherapist or medical person so that the condition is identified correctly and then the old chestnut that travels so well can be applied: Treat the Cause.

Common things being common - you are probably doing the right things by using rest, stretching and strengthening exercises, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory meds and checking you have a comfortable riding position - but I'd still get it checked out if it's been eating you. Just my 2c:s

I strongly agree with this as in 1992 after suffering disc problems in my lower back and letting the dr assure me all was OK and not following up on it I am now suffering in pain every day and the discs have degenerated to zero meaning my bad for not following up and not much they can do short of fuse the vertabre now, get it checked now and if need be get a second opinion

Had the same issue with the stock "buckhorn" style bars that came with my bike. I put some beach bars on it to put the grips back and out wide. I rode 9 hours with stops only for gas and could easily lift my beer mug at the end of the day. Then, I rode all day for two more days, same painless results. Then rode the 9 hours home through rain and sun, still able to lift the beer without drugs or pain.

Back