free website stats program Elbow pain | Harley Davidson Forums

Elbow pain

03fxsti

Did a few back to back 300 mile days recently and after the second day my right elbow was very painful. I tried to do everything I could while riding to relieve the pain, throtle lock, frequently changing arm position, etc. Tuesday, 800 mg motrin were all that helped me make it through the day. Is there something I am doing wrong? Death grip on the throttle? Locked elbows? Your insight is appreciated.

Tighten the thottle, so you can relax your grip, some people don't like doing that but I do it alot just depends what road is like and where I'm at.

Don't know for sure but you may be straining your wrist by having them at a bad angle. Or you may be straining your humurist (funny bone) in your elbow, known as tennis elbow. You could try working with resisance grips to strenghten your forarms, or try tying a 5lb weight to enough rope so that when your arms are extended stright out from your shoulders the weight is just off the ground. Tie the other end to a 1" dowell about 12" long. Grab the dowell with your palms down and wind the rope raising the weight, than let it down and repeat. Or you could try another set of bars.

You could also look into a cruise control for your model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what will stop it other than rest, but (as a nurse) doing the Motrin on a regular basis will help, if not alleviate it altogether. Mine ache sometimes too. I believe in ibuprofen!

I am sure that age has something to do with it. My brain still thinks it is in an 18 year old body.Brain tries to push 50 year old body like it is 18. Unfortunataly, 50 year old body makes 18 year old brain pay for three or four days with the help of drugs.

Squeezing a rubber ball, lifting some light weights, and motrin have helped.

Should I be looking at something else, seat position, stock bars vice after-market? One of the guys I ride with says you should not hurt while riding.

If the pain is mostly when you try to lift something with your arm extended, it is the tendon at the elbow. Commonly known as tennis elbow. Mine is caused from over exerting my arm. IE cleaning my gutters with a pressure washer only using one hand to hold the wand. If this is the pain you have, good luck it will take a year to improve as with any tendon injury. Some golfers use the bands that put pressure on the forearm.

Don't get discouraged! It may not take a year. Everyone is different, but tendon injuries (aggravations) do take a while to resolve. Really and truly, rest and anti-inflammatories, are the best route. I had a terrible elbow tendon issue a couple of years back from saddling horses repeatedly. I got over it in time with just patience and time (rest and Advil).

Should I be looking at something else, seat position, stock bars vice after-market? One of the guys I ride with says you should not hurt while riding.

Proper fitting bars are greatly underestimated by most people, those of us that put on 10,000-40,000 miles per year know that a proper seating postition and bars that suit YOU are an absoulte must. IMO you have an aggravtion that is going to take time to heal, but I would guess that bars that fit your size, arm length, posture, and fitness level will do you the most good.

I use the rule of thumb "hands no higher than your heart" and make sure my wrists are at a comfortable angle along with slightly bent elbows.

I prefer forward controls as well as I am taller than most with a bad left hip, so the less weight and strain I put on it, the longer I can ride.

FWIW

EXCELLENT thread! I too have pain in right elbow reach for cup coffee try hammer a nail... I thought from neck injury but tendon make sense.

What and how would we evaluate different handle bars. I'm on a stock Heritage elbows are slightly bent.

Back