free website stats program EGC Insurance ----Ouch!!! Recommendations | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

EGC Insurance ----Ouch!!! Recommendations

I used to work in the insurance industry, we actually taught insurance agents how to become agents.
Insurance is like opinions each is diffrent from every one elses. When looking at insurance there are a lot of variables involved, what kind of bike, age of bike verse age of driver, where the bike will be stored, what part of the country you live; city verse country, far do you ride the bike and how often. How many bikes do you own, how long have you been riding? Safety course or no safety course including advanced course. Do you have any tickets if so how long ago...were they on the bike or in a car. Who is your home owners or rental insurance through and now what is your credit score, this plays a large effect on what you will pay.
The only thing you can do is call around and hope for the best, unfortunatly insurance is an evil necessity, you hate paying for it cause odds are most will never use it (what the insurance companies want), but you are so glad you have it when something happens.
So how can you help yourself get cheaper Insurance? Park your bike in a secure faiclity when not in use, add an alarm. Obey the law and don't get any tickets. Take an MC refresher course or advance rider course. And this one you all should love by more motorcycles so you get a multi-bike discount. Work towards a better credit score. For the record in Jacksonville, FL I pay 608 a year for a 2011 Heritage and 09 Electra Glide full coverage through Gieco. Good luck and be safe.

Slapp, What I cant figure out is how does Florida get away with no insurance needed on a Motorcycle, it is a licensed motorized vehicle?

Jack, Florida is a no fault state, basicly means that when in an accident it is no ones fault as accidents do happen. You will still get a ticket but not your fault. Now to the technical part, in Florida if you read the state statutes which I had to do for work, you still have to have insurance they just are not required to ask for it. Along with that goes the helmet law, according to how the rule is written, if you are not wearing a helmet and get stopped you could face a fine if you cannot show proof of, it's either 10 or 15 thousand can't remember of personel bodily injury insurance. Also if stopped and you have a passenger and no matter how much insurance you have the passenger is supposed to have a helmet on and anyone under 21 years of age is required to wear a helmet no matter what. All these laws are like any other they choose to enforce when they wish to. That is why when stopped by your local sherrif it is best to be polite and answer all questions with a yes sir/mam. Good luck and keep smiling.
MyFlorida.com - Home is where all this can be found.

Last edited:
I'm in Miami and have my two bike's insured with All State as I do my Cars and House, Full coverage with 3 k in extra's and Towing

2010 StreetGlide 325.75 per year
2008 Ultra Class 219.56 per year
and 5.45 for emergency Assesment

Total $550 76 per year

Like alot of you wrote there are several factors my agent whome Iv'e known and trusted for a long time sais these are the top in order for All State

Credit Score ( Higher the better )
Age ( Between 40 -58 for Motorcycle is optimum )
Driving record ( Obviously no tickets or accidents is best )
zip code ( Residential low accident area )

ppofootball, like I said earlier many variables are involved, but your agent and friend is right those are the main four.

I looked into Foremost, they supposedly give an AARP discount among other things. I was TOTALLY shocked at the number of complaints about Foremost on the internet -- I mean, there are people unhappy with just about everyone, but Foremost appears to have more lawsuits and class actions against them than all the rest combined! They just flat don't pay out on claims!! Do a search for "Foremost insurance problems". They are owned by State Farm, and take on mobile home insurance, bikes, etc that State Farm doesn't want. Tons of complaints from post-Katrina mobile home owners.

Cheap insurance is no good if they don't pay out on claims!!

I use Dairyland....$258.00 per year, full coverage PLUS $5000.00 for accessories....this is for a 2000 Ultra Classic.

After being in the military for over 20 years and living both over seas and here in the states the cheapest place for insurance I ever came across for motorcycles is West by God Virginia. When I lived up their it cost me $98 dollors a year for full coverage on a new Superglide. Now that included the fact that I was not supposed to ride the bike during the months of Dec thru Feb, the worst of the winter months. I held onto that insurance for as long as I could when I moved to Florida. Of course I had to finally switch it over and it cost 2 1/2 times more from the same company "Dairyland", I freaked out about that...but that just goes to show what I posted earlier, it is all about the variables. Here in Florida I have had good luck and good prices from Gieco, even when my daughter backed up over my 2 month old Electra Glide. Gieco fixed it and the rates never changed.
Good luck with what ever company you go with, like I said before insurance is a necessary evil.

I looked at insurance and bike payments and was thinking that I wouldn't be able to afford both but then found out that if I took a cycle education class I could effectively reduce my insurance by half. $450 for year round coverage FLHTI and an extra $5000 for chrome coverage included.

As Cromedome says, shop insurance....as for me , up to now, six years, the best I can find is thru Harley ....I've tried Progressive, Geico, Allstate, and Safeco and right now Safeco is the lowest.........That is with full, more than most, coverage and I won't change for now !!!!

I bundled insurance coverage with my insurance company's auto coverage. The Progressive quote on my 2009 Ultra Classic was close to $400 - my current bundled rate is $79.

Back