free website stats program EGC Insurance ----Ouch!!! Recommendations | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

EGC Insurance ----Ouch!!! Recommendations

Progressive, used to have Geico but Progressive offered same coverage at a better rate.
It must be geographical. I switched from Progressive to Geico because Geico quoted me a price of 70% of Progressive's price for the same coverage amounts & deductibles. That was a couple of years ago and they've held their price firm. Just called several carriers at renewal time and ultimately none were lower than Geico.

Been with GEICO for years now. When we got the new FLHTC I was a bit shocked when they told me the rate was going up almost 50%. They explained that since the new bike was a touring bike I was far more likely to put many more miles on it than the Sporty we had. I (EDIT) and said o.k., I guess I'll pay $150/year for the same full coverage we have on our cages, 100,000/300,000, medical payments, un/under-insured protection, roadside assistance/towing, replacement value, $250 deductible,etc.

I see the rates some of you are paying and have to think I'm pretty lucky. I'm middle aged, I guess, never had an accident or ticket of any kind and have had GEICO for going on 20 years now. We pay $900/year for the same coverage on our 2 cages, a full size pick up and a mid sized SUV. Sometimes for grins, about every 6 months, I call other insurers just to see if they can match or beat the rates I am paying, none have so far. As a side note, even with all of our vehicles insured with GEICO, they still could not beat the rate for our house insurance that we got with Farmers. And conversely, Farmers cold not come close with the vehicle rates.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 02 flhtc and had State Farm for a long time at about 350 a year for full coverage. Went with Geico for 175 a year, same coverage. Shop around!

The only way to get an idea of what company will give on a rate is to call them directly and ask. The problem is that each state sets its own insurance requirements which changes costs. In addition each company calculates its own risk factors, so what other people get is meaningless.

Some of the things that can get factored are age, gender, credit score, years riding, type of bike and value, driving history, rent vs owning residence, zip code, marital status, children. It is a matrix that determines policy cost.

i had progressive on my 47 knuckel head about 350 a year bought my 09 UGC called them they priced me like 680 when asking why the diff they said the classic would be stolen befor the knuck imagin that went to allied

I know that one factor in an insurance quote is credit rating. I wonder if a lot of payday to payday folks buy a bike they can barely afford, maxing out their ability to pay, which changes their credit rating, and then go get insurance... which increases their credit rating and therefore their insurance rate...

I have Safeco, a 2005 Wrangler and a 2000 F250, both with full coverage. When I add the HD it only went up about $25 a month. Full cover on the bike too

Insurance companies base their rates on many things. If they increase the number of policies sold in a given time, their experience will likely change and they can always use that as justification for increasing rates. Bye the way they don't always have to use what we would call justification to change rates. In my case I have had Progressive on cars and bikes for 8 years. Progressive has grown wildly the last two years and my rates have gone up 40%, and I have a clean record. This year I checked with Geico and they quoted rates drastically lower than Progressive. Nothing has changed except Progressive want to make more money to pay for all those commercials with that annoying Flo and the other mindless idiots. I have zero loyalty with insurance companies. He who has the lowest rate for the same or better coverage gets the check. So it does pay to shop for your insurance and your Harley on any given day.

Insurance companies base their rates on many things. If they increase the number of policies sold in a given time, their experience will likely change and they can always use that as justification for increasing rates. Bye the way they don't always have to use what we would call justification to change rates. In my case I have had Progressive on cars and bikes for 8 years. Progressive has grown wildly the last two years and my rates have gone up 40%, and I have a clean record. This year I checked with Geico and they quoted rates drastically lower than Progressive. Nothing has changed except Progressive want to make more money to pay for all those commercials with that annoying Flo and the other mindless idiots. I have zero loyalty with insurance companies. He who has the lowest rate for the same or better coverage gets the check. So it does pay to shop for your insurance and your Harley on any given day.

AMEN!!! When it comes to that ALMIGHTY dollar , what buisness is truely loyal to you? if you walk in and are treated well and they do show a sense of loyalty you better stay with them and let them know its appreciated. jmho.

In British Columbia it depends on what part of the province your in. My insurance is $960 for the year and thats have mandatory provincial and half private... My vehicle insurance for my truck is (2011 ford ranger) is $1500 for the year and thats with the max discount, wifes car (2009 ford edge) is $1400 for the year and I won`t tell you what i pay for for business vehicles!!!

I used to work in the insurance industry, we actually taught insurance agents how to become agents.
Insurance is like opinions each is diffrent from every one elses. When looking at insurance there are a lot of variables involved, what kind of bike, age of bike verse age of driver, where the bike will be stored, what part of the country you live; city verse country, far do you ride the bike and how often. How many bikes do you own, how long have you been riding? Safety course or no safety course including advanced course. Do you have any tickets if so how long ago...were they on the bike or in a car. Who is your home owners or rental insurance through and now what is your credit score, this plays a large effect on what you will pay.
The only thing you can do is call around and hope for the best, unfortunatly insurance is an evil necessity, you hate paying for it cause odds are most will never use it (what the insurance companies want), but you are so glad you have it when something happens.
So how can you help yourself get cheaper Insurance? Park your bike in a secure faiclity when not in use, add an alarm. Obey the law and don't get any tickets. Take an MC refresher course or advance rider course. And this one you all should love by more motorcycles so you get a multi-bike discount. Work towards a better credit score. For the record in Jacksonville, FL I pay 608 a year for a 2011 Heritage and 09 Electra Glide full coverage through Gieco. Good luck and be safe.

Back