free website stats program Do you wear a helmet? | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you wear a helmet?

I met a really good guy recently on a flight - a South African fella living in England. Two years ago he had a great holiday riding from Vegas into Southern Cal, across Arizona and getting up into Utah. He and a few mates hired some Fat Boys and hit the highways. I asked him did he wear a helmet and he said, only when they went into towns. I was a bit surprised at this coz over here, we all have to wear 'em and we just accept it like putting gas in the tank. He explained how the roads out there are big, straight and fairly empty and that highlights a really good point which probably explains some of the differences in view between, say Richard and me, and some of the other contributors to this discussion: most accidents involving motorbikes involve collisions - hitting something or, more likely, being hit. If you're an experienced jockey and you ride somewhere resembling an airport runway but without the aircraft and with better scenery, then you're laughing even without a helmet. But if you're somewhere like me, or Hobbit or Richard seems to be, then you're also a cage target as well as incurring any of the risks associated with your own riding skills and the nature of the bike. It's a different environment and calls for different risk assessment and aversion. This month the dudes in Florida are riding in different gear to the jockeys in the Mid West for example, just down to the weather and so I suppose it's the same with helmets where the law leaves you with a choice. Me, I've seen too much of the consequences of not wearing and I'm with Richard in that I owe it to my wife and kids to put up with my helmet. Mine's a carbon fibre HJC, it's really light and got some nice features like a built in sun visor. I love my bike much more than hating wearing a helmet. :newsmile090:

Illinois dosn't require you to wear one. I don't. I have nothing against them, I just choose not to. I am however a FIRM believer that it should be YOUR choice to wear one! Not your government's! Same with your seatbelt. I am however thinking about picking one up for winter riding.

This also seemed like the right place for this.

I believe in riding safe and riding free
By FRED RAU

I have been riding motorcycles for nearly 40 years, accumulating more than one million miles on two wheels with only one, very minor accident. I always wear full protective gear when I ride, including a full-face helmet, and yet I am adamantly opposed to mandatory helmet laws. I don't believe the government has the right to force me to wear a helmet, even if it might make me safer. I reserve the right, as a free American, to risk my neck at will.

I won't argue, like some, there is no proof helmets reduce injuries in accidents. To me, whether true or not, it is a moot point. What I can tell you, that I know is true, is the number of deaths and disabilities from head injuries sustained in automobile accidents is at least 20 times greater than those suffered by motorcyclists. And yet, I don't hear anyone calling for mandatory helmets for car drivers.

Question of freedom
To put it another way, when people tell me thousands of lives would be saved if we just forced riders to wear helmets, I respond even more lives could be saved if we simply mandated everyone who gets into a swimming pool or hot tub must wear a life jacket. It is absolutely true, but do we really want to live that way?

It is also true the overwhelming majority of motorcycle accidents are not the fault of the rider. In most cases, they are the result of a car or truck driver running a stop sign, failing to yield, or simply turning directly into the path of the motorcycle without signal or other warning. Motorcycles can accelerate quicker, stop shorter, turn tighter and perform almost any other maneuver much better than a four-wheeler. Because of this, a well-trained and experienced rider can avoid accident-causing situations much better than a car driver. Unfortunately, we pay the price when a car driver can't stop quick enough or turn fast enough and runs us down.

I am also sick of hearing politicians use of the "financial burden" theory to legislate against motorcycling. In truth, if you check the statistics, motorcyclists are more likely to be insured and almost always have better insurance coverage, than the majority of automobile drivers. In fact, the medical costs for uninsured motorcyclists involved in accidents is less than one-tenth of one percent of the national total. And, if it isn't the politicians telling you how dangerous bikes are, it is the doctors, describing trauma room scenes, and pontificating about the sanctity of life. Yet, their own American Medical Association has recently admitted mistakes by doctors kill about 30 percent of patients who die in hospitals. Clean your own house before you tell me that mine is dirty.

As I said, I have ridden more than 1 million miles in nearly 40 years without an injury. I believe the explanation for that record is quite simple. It is called "education."

Refresher training
I have attended every kind of motorcycle training and safety course available and take a refresher course at least once a year concerning things such as "street skills" and "accident avoidance." Most motorcyclists take some kind of safety training, at their own expense, about every two years. Can you find me a single car driver that could say the same?

Training and vigilance keep me alive and unscathed, and it has been proved time and time again it will work for almost anyone. Instead of mandating helmet use, or trying to legislate motorcycles out of existence, we should be spending our tax dollars on educating both riders and drivers.

Sadly, the United States has the worst drivers, with the worst accident statistics, in the world. The motorcycle riders they run down on a regular basis are not the problem. When we learn to face that reality, maybe we can really bring the appalling death rate on our highways under control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like most that have replied wear a helmet. Like the thread starter I live in CO (no helmet law) but unlike him I am no longer bound by regs so I have a choice. My choice 90% of the time is a helmet. You see I'm old, chicken, break easy and mend hard.

I had always wore a 3/4 helmet until i bought this bike and now I wear a 1/2 helmet and like it a lot better, and it's lighter:D

There is another thread asking "How Old Are You" I would like to add many more years to my answer if that question comes up several years from now. Don't get me wrong I do not like government interference but it has been proven to save from more serious injury if you are wearing a helmet. I am on the older age group from the thread mentioned and when I started driving there were no seat belts in cars. My oldest son stood in the front seat when his mother was driving with him and her arm shot out to catch him acting as a child safety restrain. I have had my drivers license for almost 44 years and have NEVER been in an accident that was my fault. My point is no matter how good of a rider I may be... there are many crazy people that can hurt me though no fault of my own doing. Point being I want to live to enjoy riding for many years to come....

PA dont have helmet laws but I always wear mine no matters how cool it looks without it.:small3d018:

Being that I've only got two brain cells and already ugly, doesn't seem right to wear one. BUT, I have four helmets and wear them according to riding factors such as temp, rain, heat, wind, and type of ride. Sort of like wearing clothes/leathers etc.... I wear leather and helmets to protect my old skin. Will a helmet save my life, probably not and will probably snap my brain stem anyway. Just a thought. Odds are that having a lid on is better than not having 'em. With that being said, I'm all for those that ride decide.

Full size helmets are not good in real hot weather nor is my beanie in very cold and wet weather. I adjust my leather protection and helmets so that I can spend my time paying attention to the safety of the ride. Keeping your mind on the road and the "what ifs" is very important.

Do I wear a helmet. Yes. But it's a comfort thing for me as mentioned above and besides, I'm as bald as an egg and just as fragile!
Ugly John

Rarely wear one, in bad weather, at night a full face, but usually a small polo style. Wife nags me about it so I wear it till I'm out of sight. I always thought that if I wrecked bad enough to need a helmet, I'd probably rather be in the Box than the wheel chair.

Back