free website stats program Do you wear a helmet? | Page 10 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you wear a helmet?

I live in a state with a helmet law, wish we didn't have it, but we do. I ride with a DOT helmet, and keep it on when I am in a state without a helmet law. I am not a fan of wearing the helmet, but I have no choice. I came home one day with a small novelty helmet and my teenage daughter got so upset she started crying and shaking and asking me to wear the DOT helmet. What choice did I have? I would feel too guilty to go helmetless even when I can.

Interesting comments about riding with kids, I never do it, i have had my nieces and nephews ask for rides, but always turned them down. It is one thing to risk my life, but a kid doesn't have the judgement to make that decision for themselves.

Good thread.

I wear one alot more than I used to. I kinda feel naked without it. I still ride without one but its getting rarer. Half helmet most all the time except when its colder or I know i'm going to be in the rain then I go 3/4 with shield.

No helmet law here.

Wouldn't cross the street without one. I wear a half helmet. Didn't always in my younger days, but have seen enough through the years that I wear one. Been an EMT for 22 years and have never seen a helmet kill anyone yet, regardless of some of the stories floating around. I do think helmet laws suck. I think government has a few other things to concern themselves with other then my melon!

I have 5 helmets; every type except modular. Here in Maryland we have to wear, and I generally prefer a 3/4 for most of the year, and a full face for the winter. In summer occasionally the novelty helmet comes out. And every so often, once in a blue moon, I ride up to Delaware and go naked for a short time.

I firmly believe in RIGHTS, that is, the rider's right to choose; however, RIGHTS are accompanied by RESPONSIBILITIES. If one chooses not to use a helmet, they have the responsibility to a.) ride safely, and b.) be willing to accept the consequences of their actions. Practically speaking, that means that I don't want to pay for YOUR head injury. YOUR insurance rates should reflect YOUR risk (i.e. be higher) than someone who has lower risk. Of course, that's assuming that riding naked has higher risks. I suspect there's data available out there somewhere, and I've heard anecdotally that death rates are lower in some states without helmet laws, but you can live for a long time as a vegetable at great cost to the taxpayers (and not count in the death stats).

Regardless, I have less distractions, hear better and see better without a helmet, but prefer to wear one MOST of the time for my own safety, since most cagers are trying to kill me. Just keep this in mind....next time your rollin' down the road and see some rider driving like a maniac, irresponsibly and recklessly, AND without a helmet, that's the one rider that the driving public and politicians will remember most; that's the one rider who will keep the gov't happily making laws affecting all our rights.

Just keep this in mind....next time your rollin' down the road and see some rider driving like a maniac, irresponsibly and recklessly, AND without a helmet, that's the one rider that the driving public and politicians will remember most; that's the one rider who will keep the gov't happily making laws affecting all our rights.

How very true.

I always wear a lid ( I'ts compulsory in the UK) but sometimes it would be nice to hear the engine and feel the wind unencumbered.

It is the law here in MI, but I'm sure I still would wear it even if I didn't have to. I don't need to end up being a burden to my family or worm food.

I wouldn't leave home with out it. A friend of mine who rides sport bikes once said "he doesn't wear helmet to save him in an accident he wears one so he can have an open casket" kinda morbid but I got a chuckle out of it.

I took up riding four years ago when I was 55. My son went with me to help pick out riding gear. After putting on the full-face helmet, armored leather jacket, leather gloves, leather boots, and armored riding pants that he recommended, I asked him if I really needed all this stuff.

My son is a fireman/paramedic and he simply told me about some of the motorcycle accident victims he had seen or treated with and without all the gear. That was enough for me. I have worn all the gear all the time since then regardless of weather. My only concession to hot weather is switching to an armored mesh jacket, perforated leather gloves and armored mesh riding pants.

It's the law that I have to wear a helmet in California. I'd wear my full-face helmet even if it wasn't required. I don't get on the bike without putting it on. I even put it on to move the bike into and out of the garage. Not that I'm compulsive about it or anything like that. :D

Back