free website stats program Do you wear a helmet? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Do you wear a helmet?

I think the personal reasons for not wearing a helmet are pretty selfish - when weighted towards something so much more at stake...your responsibilities to your friends and loved ones who rely on your good health coupled with your ability to remind them how GREAT life is with you in it, to spend time and be able to pass the message why you enjoy the FREEDOM TO RIDE your HARLEY. :42:

Sharing your good fortune and life experiences is the best contribution you can make in your life and makes such a difference to peoples lives every day.
Wear that helmet...not for YOU but for everyone else you care about and those who care about YOU! JMHO :D

Last edited:
helmets over in the UK are the LAW, but i was out on mine one day and got to the junction to the motorway and policeman in his patrol car was waving frantically at me so i pulled over, he flashed the blues and ran over to me and said mate weres your helmet your not on your trike, the joy of local officers who know you, instead of jumping all over me dropped me home whilst i fetch lid from garage and took me back to the bike and let me go on my way :D

I would have to say you owe that man a pint.

In Washington they are mandatory but even when I am out of state in areas
where not required I wear one. Got in a very minor accident and it made a
believer out of me, helmet destroyed, noggin saved. That being said I hate
helmet laws, even though I wear one it still should be my choice not some
political hack.

The Grumpy one

Thought of somethings else to go with this topic--- Why when you cross state lines in a
cage they can make you put something onto your cage that is not required where you
have it registered (for example the extra smog/emissions stuff in Calif) but when on your
scoot you have to carry a helmet to travel on a public hwy even if they are the only one
around requiring a helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the law should be according to how old you are years riding. No one should be forced to ware one.
Use to be in Illinois when I was a kid under 18 years old no bike over a 350 cc that was the only rule.
Just my two three cents worth.
Ridge

It's the law here in Michigan so I guess we are being forced. Reason, Insurance. I'm curious, what does a rider pay who rides in a state that has a helmet law versus a state that says you don't have to wear one. When you get insurance, are you asked if you wear a helmet? Did do you pay less than a biker that doesn't? Just curious. Like the seat belt law in your cage. You have to wear it, why? Insurance purposes. Saves Lives.

None Of Those Questions Asked Here At Least With My Agent. Walked In Told Them I Needed Insurance, What My Bike Was, Gave Them A Check Of Course And Walked Out The Door.

However Our Friend Hit A Deere Last Summer While On Her 06 Flstc/i . She Ended Up With A Pretty Good Concussion But They Told Us If She Wouldn't Have Had On Her Helmet ( Even Though It Was A Half Helmet) She Would Not Be Here. She Got Road Rash To her Face Pretty Good And Ground Down 3 Of Her Top Front Teeth, but she Is Here To Tell Her Story . We Are The Lucky Ones In That Situation. She Cared Enough About Those Around Her To Wear One.

Last edited:
helmets over in the UK are the LAW, but i was out on mine one day and got to the junction to the motorway and policeman in his patrol car was waving frantically at me so i pulled over, he flashed the blues and ran over to me and said mate weres your helmet your not on your trike, the joy of local officers who know you, instead of jumping all over me dropped me home whilst i fetch lid from garage and took me back to the bike and let me go on my way :D

I left a service station one day after gassing up and stopped 100m down the road because the bike sounded different. I then realised I had left my helmet sitting on the pump!

in states that give me a choice like the one i live in no. in the other states i try to stay out of them as much as possible and wear a shorty if i have to go there.

Always when on the bike. No exceptions anywhere.

Just a cap when off the bike, but not when sleeping. Hey, look at the topic title. I just wanted to cover everything.:D

Just completed a 1,700 mile ride around Southern Arizona in mid-January without wearing a helmet. While in Arizona there were 2 motorcycle related deaths in the Phoenix area within a few days, both not wearing helmets.

Makes a guy think that these days wearing a helmet makes sense and I agree with "RichardS" that the odds are good that you will go down at some point.

I've posted before on this topic: I worked for some years in E.R. and have seen a good number of bikers who've crashed wheeled in to us. There is absolutely no doubt that a helmet covering your skull and chin gives the best protection: I've seen guys with their brains pulped who would've probably just been concussed if they'd a helmet on and I've seen some horrible facial injuries (including loss of most of the lower jaw and nose tip) where a half-helmet/open face was worn. Full helmets are a pain and an inconvenience compared to partial coverage or the wild pleasure of no helmet and good weather, but you're really playing with the numbers and if you're unlucky, it's a scale of nasty up to disastrous.

Back