free website stats program Dealers You Wouldn't Recommend. | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dealers You Wouldn't Recommend.

Hammond Harley.
Bought my Roadking there used and an extended warrenty. Had it a couple of weeks and kept hearing a noise in the engine. The service manager and some of there Phds said it was piston slap so I said fix it. After I got home they call me and told me that IF the problem was not piston slap then I would be responsible for parts and labor. I told them not to touch it and that I was on my way to pick it up. I told them I would ride it till I had a catrosphic <sp> engine failure then they would know exactally what was wrong with it. They then said to calm down a bit. What ever warrenty didn't cover, the shop would. Got it back and did my 1000 mile oil change and I;ll be damned if they didn't leave my drain plug loose.

I have also posted there and it takes a while to post after you add your comments. Don't know how current it is after looking at the archives.

:small3d022:Barnett HD in El Paso, TX

There I was, looking to purchase a RK Custom for $18,000. I had just bought the wife an '05 Sportster about 6 months prior, so it wasn't the first time I had bought from them. At the time, I had a Suzuki Blvd cruiser (great bike by the way) that had less than 5K miles on it and wanted to trade and buy. Even brought the title with me. Anway, they told me they would give me $2K for my bike (book was for $5200 and I sold it for $4900) and that the RK was going to be $22K. While I was walking around, I overheard the salesman talking with another one about how stupid I was and that they were going to take me for a ride. Needless to say I left. I bought my RK Classic in Tucson the next week, for $18K.

Fast forward to last week, our friends went down and bought an '09 Sporty 883 for $8800. I thought they overpaid, but didn't want to end their joy. The sales price was no where near MSRP and they wouldn't even attach the windshield she bought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any store that does not mark their retail price up front is just trying to play games and pull the wool over your eyes. There is no reason for not marking the price on something unless you want to play games. I have often asked a clerk how much something was and why it was not marked. Almost without fail I am told that "everybody knows how much it is, why go to the trouble to mark it"? That is nothing but horse hockey. They do that because the price is not fixed. Different people will pay different prices.
If I go into a store and things are not marked, I walk out without saying a word.
Screw em and feed em beans!

Adams Custom Choppers

Talk about bad dealers.
This guy has taken huge dollars for aftermarket parts and then disappears only to turn up with another business name eg Choppers East etc. He's taken people for just a few dollars all the way up to paid for but not filled orders for complete bike kits. If you want his name just ask and I'll give it to you. His scam is in at least 4 countries at last count.
If anyone no's where this guy is now please forward his location to me.

Re: Dealers You Wouldn't or Would? Recommend

I didn't see anywhere that it had to be a Harley Davidson dealer. A couple years ago, when I set out to upgrade, I initially was drawn to the Victory motorcycle like a moth to flame. I had heard much hype and the local dealer "OFF ROAD EXPRESS" near Erie, PA was doing a pretty good job of letting folks know that they were the Victory dealer. I was enamoured with the Kingpin with it's 100CI powerhouse and 6 speed transmission, and if the sales manager had even acted like he was interested in selling it to me I'd be on a different web site today sharing my stories with other Victory owners, but this lack of interest gave me a real "cold" feeling, and I couldn't help but wonder what bringing a bike there for service might be like?
I continued my search, and soon was delighted by the contrast of the sales manager Bryan Lepley at Street Track & Trail, Meadville, PA. Long story short, by the time I left ST&T I felt like Bryan and I were old friends, and by the way, I had a contract for my new FXDWG with me! It's the same feeling every time I return to ST&T. They know how to cultivate a customer, not just sell a bike.

OK, this weekend I had another completely dissatisfying experience with a HD Dealership here in the Houston area. The Dealership is "Harley-Davidson of The Woodlands" (Texas Motorcycle Dealer - Harley-Davidson of The Woodlands). A couple of weeks ago, I shopped around for a rear tire for my '03 UC. The tire I want is a Dunlop D402 MU85B16. Prices on the internet were $40-60 less than any of the Dealerships. So I bought a tire online. This past Friday, I called "Harley-Davidson of The Woodlands" to ask them if they would mount and balance the tire on my wheel if I brought them in on Saturday, and what the charge would be. They told me it would be $37.50 (1/2 hours service charge) to mount and balance, so I told them I would bring in the wheel and tire the next morning. My daughter had a swim meet in the Woodlands early on Saturday (and Sunday), so I pulled the wheel off the bike on Friday night.

On Saturday, I dropped my daughter off at the nat, and went over to the Dealership. You can imagine my shock when the guy at the service counter told me they would NOT mount and balance the tire I brought in because I had not bought it from them! I told him I had called on Friday and been told to bring it in. The guy checked with the Service Manager who confirmed that they would NOT do the work for me. In fact, they said they would not do ANY work with customer supplied parts.

Lucky for me, right next door is "American Dream Cycles". They sell choppers and other custom bikes (dead link). They were glad to take my money and mount/balance my tire on my wheel. In fact the Service Manager over there, Paul Floyd, is the kind of guy you want to work with as a DIY'er!! And if you want, they will do it all for you. With or without your parts!

So, I strongly recommend folks find a better HD Dealership that has a customer focus. In my opinion, "Harley-Davidson of The Woodlands" is out for themselves, and based on my own personal experience, will likely do crappy work since it is clear they are only interested in maximizing the money they make from their customers. Luckily, the Houston area has plenty of choices.

TQ

Last edited:
OK, this weekend I had another completely dissatisfying experience with a HD Dealership here in the Houston area. The Dealership is "Harley-Davidson of The Woodlands" (Texas Motorcycle Dealer - Harley-Davidson of The Woodlands). A couple of weeks ago, I shopped around for a rear tire for my '03 UC. The tire I want is a Dunlop D402 MU85B16. Prices on the internet were $40-60 less than any of the Dealerships. So I bought a tire online. This past Friday, I called "Harley-Davidson of The Woodlands" to ask them if they would mount and balance the tire on my wheel if I brought them in on Saturday, and what the charge would be. They told me it would be $37.50 (1/2 hours service charge) to mount and balance, so I told them I would bring in the wheel and tire the next morning. My daughter had a swim meet in the Woodlands early on Saturday (and Sunday), so I pulled the wheel off the bike on Friday night.

On Saturday, I dropped my daughter off at the nat, and went over to the Dealership. You can imagine my shock when the guy at the service counter told me they would NOT mount and balance the tire I brought in because I had not bought it from them! I told him I had called on Friday and been told to bring it in. The guy checked with the Service Manager who confirmed that they would NOT do the work for me. In fact, they said they would not do ANY work with customer supplied parts.

Lucky for me, right next door is "American Deam Cycles". They sell choppers and other custom bikes (dead link). They were glad to take my money and mount/balance my tire on my wheel. In fact the Service Manager over there, Paul Floyd, is the kind of guy you want to work with as a DIY'er!! And if you want, they will do it all for you. With or without your parts!

So, I strongly recommend folks find a better HD Dealership that has a customer focus. In my opinion, "Harley-Davidson of The Woodlands" is out for themselves, and based on my own personal experience, will likely do crappy work since it is clear they are only interested in maximizing the money they make from their customers. Luckily, the Houston area has plenty of choices.

TQ

I've found that any dealership usually isn't the best place to get a tire mounted and balanced. For me I've found a lot of places that do better and less expensive mounts and balances. I'd rather deal with the smaller guys for stuff like that. You usually get better quality work and service.

Back