free website stats program Consideration when looking at bikes with 96ci or greater | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Consideration when looking at bikes with 96ci or greater

I own a 09 superglide stock engine with 15k on it now and yall got me parinod now. have read all the post and links and am still unsure if yall are saying they suposidly addressed the prob with the run out on the crank or if it still an issue.The guy that did my work on my bike before i moved back to Texas siad he has only seen issues on bikes that have had bigger cams put in . I have had some engine noise Iam not real sure about... A real light knock so quite I cant tell if its in my head or not,a swirling sound when it cold and i first fire it up that goes away instantly after about 2 min of warming up and a little tink tink sound when i acllerate hard but not there when iam just sitting still and rev up the motor. I have not noticed any extra vibration in my bars or pegs. I have takin in to the harley shop and had them check it out they said everything sounds fine they listen to it cold and road it for around 20 miles. Not real worried about the hog shop doin me wrong on the issue they have takin care of some other warrenty issues for me (striped spines on the shifter and primary seal leak) and never even much as asked where i get my services done.
I dont do burnouts but I do giver (EDITED) when I ride.THe 88 twins cams had cam tensioner probs now yall tell me the 96 twin cams and up have crank probs Thinkin should have bought a used evo. now.
Dont post much but am in here a lot robin yall of info and as always yalls helps is greatly appreciated.

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Those noises are normal i think. My old evo sounds about the same way. Under hard acceleration at low RPM they all "tink" a little after you've put a few miles on it. Come to think of it... So does my old chevy truck with a 350ci. I couldn't hear my Harley doing it until i put a quieter exhaust on. I also get a little chatter every once in a while coming from my primary, its pretty normal.
If its a new noise since your last service you might ask if they've messed with the timing any. If its just been slowly appearing, i think its fairly normal and not a lot to worry about. Ride her till the wheels fall off, then rebuild.

If the bike is under warranty, get this done right away. Insist that they check for run-out.

Even if it is not under warranty, you will have to check this. If it is a run-out problem, it will NOT heal itself, and will eventually tear up the pump and other stuff.TQ

How best to get the local HD shop to check the crank runout, under the guise of a warranty request? My 2yr factory expires in August and I really would like to get this checked out, but would rather not have to pay for it.

Can you take it in and say I'm aware this is an issue on these 96 engines and I'd like to have this checked b4 warranty expiration? Will these HD shops honor that kind of request, or does there actually have to be a problem with it, i.e., excessive vibration......thanks

I agree with Mr. Data - of course!

This is one of those situations where I think it really helps to put yourself in the dealer's shoes for a moment. Someone rides into your establishment, tells you about this problem they've discovered on the internet. You question them a bit further and find they have done no engine mods and are currently exhibiting none of the symptoms which would point to this problem. Yet they are asking you to perform an expensive inspection on the house so that they can have peace of mind.

What would you honestly say to that person?

I can appreciate that side of the argument Doc - Just trying to get a feel for what my options are here.

How would you guys go about finding an Indy in a particular area you're located in?

How would you guys go about finding an Indy in a particular area you're located in?

I have found WORD of MOUTH worked for me , Not hard to find a biker that has given-up on HD shops. Ask a few bikers in your area.. Hopefully they will steer you the right way..

signed....BUBBIE

I can appreciate that side of the argument Doc - Just trying to get a feel for what my options are here.

Hey, I certainly wasn't intending to be critical of you. If you go back and read the first few posts in this thread you'll see that I was the one originally freaking out about this issue.

Finding a good, local, independent mechanic can be tough but it's worth the time to do it. Do some digging in this forum or PM members in your area to see who they use. Contact your local HOG chapter and ask, although they'll probably be affiliated with a dealership and may not be able to "officially" recommend anyone. Go to a local bike night or some type of rally or weekend activity and just start asking around.

Good Luck!

Nah, didn't read anything like that into it Doc - do understand that perspective totally. Just didn't know how HD shops operate given that type of potential problem...so thought I'd ask... :)

I've only been in this area for a few months and been riding solo for the most part..I'll have to just start asking around...Maybe I'll ask the parts guy at the HD shop if he can recommend a good Indy:newsmile100:

Back