free website stats program Consideration when looking at bikes with 96ci or greater | Harley Davidson Forums

Consideration when looking at bikes with 96ci or greater

TQuentin1

Staff member
Mr. Data and I have been having a discussion about the run out problem on the larger 96 twin cam engines. I thought there may be some interest in the community about this information:

Originally Posted by tquentin1
Bad deal about Mike's engine. Glad the MoCo is doing right by him.

no oil pressure..... - Harley Davidson Community

If I am getting into the engine to up-grade the cam shafts' drive, it is only a little more trouble to open up the engine and replace the crank shaft. Is there an aftermarket option that will not fall apart?

Originally Posted by Mr. Data
I think S&S has their act together as well as the bearing upgrade on the
left side case . It's worth the time and expense to have a bullet proof motor if you are taking it apart that far.

That was a bad deal on Mike's engine and I think the MOCO finally learned a lesson to stop cheaping out on some parts. The old adage if it ain't broke don't fix it still applies here, though. Never heard of crank problems before the 96 engines were introduced. It's going to show up after these bikes have been in service for a few more years with these cranks twisting, but hopefully people will get the extended warranty when they buy them. I bought it with mine for this very reason.

Originally Posted by tquentin1
That is some important info for the group particularly if they are considering buying a new OR used bike with a 96ci or larger engine, where they could still get or transfer an extended warranty. I feel lucky that I transferred the existing extended warranty when I bought my '03 (good through '10) even though it is the 88ci.

Hope some of you folks find this information useful.

TQ

I'm afraid this may be way over my head.

Are you saying there's an inherent problem with the TC96 motors that will show up later? How much later? Am I up the creek because I didn't pony up for an extended warranty? Is there anything I can look for before the factory warranty runs out? Symptoms of the problem?

Sorry I'm so ignorant about this. I love my bike and it scares me to read posts like this about my bike being trashed at some point in the near future!

It will show as a vibration that wasn't there before and get worse as miles progress noticed int he floor boards and bars. Usually but not always brought about by hard acceleration (burn outs) and sudden deceleration like a missed shift into the wrong lower gear.

Crankshaft Runout (videos) - Harley Davidson Community

no oil pressure..... - Harley Davidson Community

OK, I ride mine like a little old lady going to church and have done NO engine mods so it sounds like I've got most of the odds in my favor. I'll be watching for the vibrations you mentioned. Also sounds like something worth getting measured prior to the 2 year warranty running out. I assume there's a factory tolerance on this and if your bike exceeds it, they have to do something about it.

Also sounds like something worth getting measured prior to the 2 year warranty running out. I assume there's a factory tolerance on this and if your bike exceeds it, they have to do something about it.

Most definitely have the run out looked into before the warranty runs out.

The factory upped the run out when they found too many bikes weren't' conforming to what they originally posted it should be. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Most people are in the range of 0.001 to 0.003 and the factory upped it to 0.012 which would shake the teeth out of your head not to mention what that would do to the oil pump.
[/FONT]

OK, I ride mine like a little old lady going to church and have done NO engine mods so it sounds like I've got most of the odds in my favor. I'll be watching for the vibrations you mentioned. Also sounds like something worth getting measured prior to the 2 year warranty running out. I assume there's a factory tolerance on this and if your bike exceeds it, they have to do something about it.

The information is in the link that Mr. Data posted, but here is a short cut to the HD technical bulletin:

TC Runout Inspection Link 1

TC Runout Inspection Link 1

TQ

Most definitely have the run out looked into before the warranty runs out.

The factory upped the run out when they found too many bikes weren't' conforming to what they originally posted it should be. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Most people are in the range of 0.001 to 0.003 and the factory upped it to 0.012 which would shake the teeth out of your head not to mention what that would do to the oil pump.
[/FONT]

So you're obviously saying you would notice the vibration well before you were even close to the new "factory specs." I've definitely got to do some more homework and figure out how all these moving parts work! Wish there was a "Harley For Dummies" book that covered the basics for beginners.

Interesting, I did'nt know they had upped the tolerance to 12thou. Any reports of what kind of mileage the bikes are getting to before they exceed this tolerance?

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum. I've owned shovels and now a 96 FXDWG that I've been thinking of selling so I can get a 09 Ultra. This news scares heck out of me and I will probably change my mind and keep my Evo. Although this time in my life says I want a bagger. Recently retired and want to do some traveling. Do any of you know if Harley has re-evaluated this .012 runout spec in the 09 models? If not will the '10 models have any changes? Seems to me Harley changed the frames and has used an extra rubber mount to maybe mask the vibration the .012 spec can cause. Any one with engine background can see this is way too loose a spec. Thanks, hoggy

Back