free website stats program Consideration when looking at bikes with 96ci or greater | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Consideration when looking at bikes with 96ci or greater

Harley upped the runout specs from .003 to the present .012 because it was costing them too much $$$ to replace the engine cranks providing the rest of the engine was still usable and not damaged as a result of the oil pump being chewed up from the runout . The newer cranks supposedly have a crank that the manufacturing specs were tightened up a bit (but they still claim the old ones weren't faulty):s
It's a Harley and they have their problems, it's only a shame that the company doesn't treat the customers as good as the share holders, we wouldn't have any complaints then.

When you say that they have tightened the specs up on the newer cranks. Just when exactly + is this supposed to have happened? I'm kind of a worry wart when it comes to this stuff. My WG (evo) is 13 years old with no problems to date and I worry the Ultra won't make it through the warrantee period. Wonder if the 2010s will be even better? Think I'll wait another month or 2 before I decide. Really wanted a new bagger to ride to Sturgis but I can see that won't happen now.

I believe it was 08 or the start of 09 they changed the specs on the cranks, not sure of the exact date.

I'm afraid I may have this slipping crankshaft problem, but would like some help in a diagnosis. 2007 RKC, bought it used a few days before Memorial day, now has about 6700 miles on it. I was in love with the smoothness of the bike.
A few weeks ago, I was going up over a bridge a all of a sudden noticed a large amount of vibration not felt before. I continued on and got onto I95 for the 60 mi ride home. First real trip up there, so the vibs I was feeling at the time were dismissed as "normal" for 75 MHP. (I've never owned a Harley before). Seemed OK after that, and I dismissed almost everything as my being oversensitive to the vibes. Here it is a few wweeks later, and today I definatley noticed a vibration both in the floorboards and the bars, to the point of my hands becoming numb after 30 miles or so. That aint right. The smoothness that I loved is gone. I read the post from Mr. Data and will go thru the HD troubleshooting check list for vibration (as it says). After I got that bad vib the first time, I checked the critical fasteners per the manual and found nothing. Now I hope that I do find something per the manual, but if I don't, what kind of experience can I expect at the dealer?? I have only to the end of the month under warranty. Are the dealers pretty cool in dealing with this issue? Or are they being bad guys and gonna give me the old "they all do that" line. ( And I KNOW this one DIDN'T). Also, is it a big deal for them to check for this and should I have any fees involved? I realize they need to take off the LH case, so it really does look pretty simple.
Thanks alot,
Jer

To check the crank run-out, the nose cone (cam cover) will have to come off, the sprockets, chain, outer tensioner (maybe). See here:

Chain Driven Cams And A Twisting Crank - Harley Davidson Community

and here:

Crankshaft Runout (videos) - Harley Davidson Community

If the bike is under warranty, get this done right away. Insist that they check for run-out.

Even if it is not under warranty, you will have to check this. If it is a run-out problem, it will NOT heal itself, and will eventually tear up the pump and other stuff.

But make sure you have covered off all the easy stuff first - wheel/tire balance, loose/broken links (top, under tank, and front), drive belt condition and tension, etc.

TQ

WOW thats unbelieveable. I know HD has tried to stop people from rebuilding lower ends by telling you if its out spec return to HD. I have been rebuilding Flywheels for 30 years and I know where I live not alot of people do it anymore. I have not had the lower end of a Twin Cam apart yet except to do cams. When I do, I will figure out how to remove the crank pin and refit rods and true them back up. I never give up and I hate the fact that HD is trying to lock them selfs into being the only ones to rebuild lower ends.

WOW!!! Wife has an 09 FXDB. When new, she did not get above 55-60 very often. Then when she started riding 60-70 freeway speed, (2K on the bike)she noticed quite a vibration. Local dealer has informed us that all Dyna models do this???? Can not feel it much until she gets above 60. I rode it just so she knew it was not her. The vibration is definatly there. After about 300 miles in a day, her right hand is numb. Guess we will go to a differant HD shop and have them check this run out situation. Thanks..........:newsmile04:

Back