free website stats program ATF In Primary?????? | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

ATF In Primary??????

I run it in my primary, in both of my bikes. The ultra it is just the clutch and in the sportster it is the clutch and trans. No problems at all, as a matter of fact it quieted down the primary in the ultra removing some really loud and annoying noises, and in the sporty it fixed the problem where either the clutch would slip or drag depending on how it was adjusted. I use b&m trick shift for both, and while i am not saying it is the best thing out there, i am absolutely sure that it is better then ANYTHING you can get at the HD dealership because I have tried them. But, there are almost as many types of oils out there as there are opinions, so...... let em fly!!
One more thing, is it spring yet??

I use it on my 2002 road king about one year and what i noticed was that
the cluth work berry good the bad part was that the primary chain made a lot more noise.

GREAT attitude, we wouldn't steer you wrong. Only what we KNOW works gets recommended.

You're missing the point, GM is telling you to use atf. HD doesn't say use atf, and atf doesn't say it's good for primarys.

And the beat goes on, we will never hear the end of this debate, your ride you decide, IMO I would not use it in my bike nor have I ever used it in any application other than hydraulic JMO from years of wrenching

Go here search the FAQ about ATF in primary see what Mobil has to say
Lubricants for a Harley-Davidson Dyna Wide Glide

01/04/2010
ATF Choices for a Harley-Davidson FLHT Primary
I have been told that many Harley owners use Type F (Ford) ATF in their primaries, for one thing to make it easier to find neutral. I have some Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle Formula that I was t...
Although an ATF may work, we suggest shying away from using it due to the low viscosity of ATFs and the possibility of premature chain wear and/or noise. We recommend Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 for Harl...

Interesting read Thanks Smitty did I read it right they say no to GL5?

ATF:unsure

This is what I use (MADE FOR THE APPLICATION)

Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil
This sheer stable petroleum is designed to withstand the punishment of high loads, and contains special polymers to provide exceptional clutch engagement and temperature stability. Meets full OEM requirements, and should be used according to manufacturer’s instructions. Formulated specifically for Harley® Sportster and Big Twin applications. Low drag, low friction loss SAE 85w viscosity eliminates clutch “drag” and slipping

They say that but they are wrong on the yellow metal thing I contacted Spectro long ago and post the reply from them here some were.
The 07 RG I just traded off had 60K on it and never one transmission issue.

I remember reading your post on that one too, I believe in gear lube they are gears and bearings Right? Thanks for your response, Jack

Man, oil topics can be touchy.... So, will ATF work in the primary,,yes,,,,will it hold up,,,no,,,,will it damage anything,,,chain and sprocket wear if left in too long, as with any oil anywhere.

Whats considered "to long"? Beyond 3000 miles?

Back