free website stats program ATF In Primary?????? | Harley Davidson Forums

ATF In Primary??????

ATF in theory should work just fine. I have been using it in dirt bike transmissions for years as well as high load racing transmissions. Personally I am using Amsoil 20-50 in my Road King.

I remember back in the mid 70's when Chrysler used ATF in their standard boxes. I made the mistake of buying a Dodge van back then and after three transmissions in about 12K miles, I finally got rid of it. You had to time the shifting of the lever very closely with the operation of the clutch or you would have to almost kick it out of gear on the shifter.
I feel as well as the mechanic at the dealership that the ATF just doesn't lubricate like a gear oil in the trans.

By far the biggest piece of junk I have ever bought.

As far as using it in the primary, It's a matter of choice by the owner what they wish to run but why not use something that was made for that area. Look on the can/bottle of ATF and see if it lists the Harley primary for one of the applications. :s

ATF has detergents in it .I have run it to clean out motors and gearboxes (short duration) and it does an excellent job. Aside from that I will only run it in my automatic transmission

I remember back in the mid 70's when Chrysler used ATF in their standard boxes. I made the mistake of buying a Dodge van back then and after three transmissions in about 12K miles, I finally got rid of it. You had to time the shifting of the lever very closely with the operation of the clutch or you would have to almost kick it out of gear on the shifter.
I feel as well as the mechanic at the dealership that the ATF just doesn't lubricate like a gear oil in the trans.

By far the biggest piece of junk I have ever bought.

As far as using it in the primary, It's a matter of choice by the owner what they wish to run but why not use something that was made for that area. Look on the can/bottle of ATF and see if it lists the Harley primary for one of the applications. :s
I have heard of many who use it and thinking of transfer cases on 4x4s that are chain driven and use ATF with no problems and good for wet clutches. I do agree that a manuel trans its not good, just wondering what your take on it was,thats all. Was using amsoil in primary but switched to Castrol 4T MC(dino) and my clutch engages better with it.

I just do not know why anyone would want to? I guess if there was no other option, I would just till I rode to civilization. But then I would run bacon fat in that situation too. I just can't get past why.......
It is claimed that you get better clutch engagement and dissengagement, or so i am told.

Speaking strictly for the clutches is OK but what about all the other parts in there?
Thats why i refered to the 4x4 transfer cases that are chain driven and use ATF in them, My Bro's Z71 has 280k on it now with no problems at all.

OK, here's some food for thought about the ATF in the primary.

Do the transfer cases and other areas that you mention used ATF with no problems and high mileage house an alternator in them that would be immersed in the ATF?

Back