free website stats program ATF In Primary?????? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

ATF In Primary??????

While I agree with Bubbie, the key thing here is research and decide...intuitively it makes sense to use the newer lube...but I would in my case because the Sporty has both primary, chain and clutch all in one and not the engine...heat is not the big thing nearly as much as higher torque and shear strength film. Added features like anti-foam is better, friction modifers are not (to me), convenience and cost then tips the scales.

On my Sporty HD a single quart of Formula + goes in, was using Spectrol Gold, but the local supplier stopped stocking it...so that is why. Money saved over the longer haul, means more to buy oil, battery and other consumables...JMO

It is claimed that you get better clutch engagement and dissengagement, or so i am told.

I've read alot of threads about this issue, and just like everything else there's alot of riders that swear by this and can give all kinds of reasoning that it's a good deal to run atf in you're primary. Personally I'm not willing to risk it, if it doesn't say good for primarys on the bottle it don't go in. jmho

I've read alot of threads about this issue, and just like everything else there's alot of riders that swear by this and can give all kinds of reasoning that it's a good deal to run atf in you're primary. Personally I'm not willing to risk it, if it doesn't say good for primarys on the bottle it don't go in. jmho

It does'nt say good for transfer cases on the bottle but thats what you use in GMC and Chevy transfer cases.

Another reason for using ATF rather than gear oil is it runs thin so for the Energy Conserving crowd less drag means better fuel mileage...

Many "new" vehicles recommend 5W-30 for that reason...not "necessarily" better long term, but better EPA fuel mileage rating is GOOD for sales.

Another reason for using ATF rather than gear oil is it runs thin so for the Energy Conserving crowd less drag means better fuel mileage...

Many "new" vehicles recommend 5W-30 for that reason...not "necessarily" better long term, but better EPA fuel mileage rating is GOOD for sales.

Some manufacturers are using 0-20 oils like Toyota and some Hondas. they want the oil to build pressure fast and also aids in EPA miles per gallon

I have been running ATF in my primary case 65000 miles bike has 153125 miles. It has all original parts in the primary. I have only changed the primary chain shoe.

I started running it bike started leaking near back of the primary easy way to tell if it was from transmission or primary.

I have been running ATF in my primary case 65000 miles bike has 153125 miles. It has all original parts in the primary. I have only changed the primary chain shoe.

I started running it bike started leaking near back of the primary easy way to tell if it was from transmission or primary.

In my opinion this said it all.

Although there are alot of posts around about guys swearing by running atf in their primarys they don't seem to be saying much right now.(maybe their out in the shop workin on their primarys), anyways I've always run either Amsoil or mobil 1 v twin in my primary and never had an issue.

Back