free website stats program ATF In Primary?????? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

ATF In Primary??????

OK, here's some food for thought about the ATF in the primary.

Do the transfer cases and other areas that you mention used ATF with no problems and high mileage house an alternator in them that would be immersed in the ATF?
No it doesnt but an automatic trany does have all sorts of wires,servos,sensers,and other plastics in there, right? I did think about that before hand. Not trying to say its better just trying to find some info or logic to this. some guys swear by ATF.

Well, here's my 2 cents worth on the subject.
In my opinion, and it is just my opinion, There are a couple of different things I am personally concerned with that are going on within the primary.
1. you have a clutchpac that is really not a whole lot different than the clutchplates found within an automatic transmission.
2. you have a roller chain that requires a lubrication that is more cohesive to prevent premature wear.
3 you have a compensator and sprocket teeth that require the coating of lubrication to prevent heat build-up and excessive wear.
Personally, I like the heaver oils because I feel they provide better overall protection for the majority of what's in there.

Well, here's my 2 cents worth on the subject.
In my opinion, and it is just my opinion, There are a couple of different things I am personally concerned with that are going on within the primary.
1. you have a clutchpac that is really not a whole lot different than the clutchplates found within an automatic transmission.
2. you have a roller chain that requires a lubrication that is more cohesive to prevent premature wear.
3 you have a compensator and sprocket teeth that require the coating of lubrication to prevent heat build-up and excessive wear.
Personally, I like the heaver oils because I feel they provide better overall protection for the majority of what's in there.
Like i had said in a earlier post that i am using Castrol 4T MC 10W40 in there right now, is that too light?

Well I am glad there is a reason, I learned that today. But then, I never knew there was a problem with all the other choices that are made for specifically for the application. :cheers

Sure it would work and no it wont hurt the stator .. but thermal breakdown is going to be a lot higher than on a car trans or 4x4 gearcase .. Auto trans ya have a trans cooler built into the radiator and some times a separate cooler also ..

Most poeple dont use the 4x4 as much as you would think to actually put wear on the parts .. free wheeling doesnt cause much wear .. but when you start using the 4x4 a lot ATF just dont hold up (rebuilt enough transfer cases to know ).. why is it in there ? simple Fuel Mileage ATF is no where near as thick as good old 80-90

I bet the guys using it in the primary can tell ya about that good burnt atf smell

Here is another way to look at it. I will use my 96FB as a example up until a few hundred miles ago it never had any thing but plain old HD oil in the primary 47,000 miles on the bike not one problem with anything in the primary.
Yea I know, I was just curios about it thats all. Trying to learn as much as i can about different oil, i listen to what people are using at different hang outs and then run by you guys to see what you think about it. Thanks for the input.:cheers

Use the Spectro Primary Chaincase Oil. It has the correct additive package in it to keep the clutch from hanging/locking up after the bike has sat for the winter.

Let me just toss this out there...

Would anyone here use the harley or any other primary oil in an auto trans? Why not?

Let me just toss this out there...

Would anyone here use the harley or any other primary oil in an auto trans? Why not?

Even If I thought It would work well, I wouldn't use HD oil in my truck or car because it cost 3 times as much....:p:p

When I had my clutch incedent, it was recommended to try ATF to see if it would help the clutch grab and get me home. It wasn't recommended as a long term fix.

My clutch incident:newsmile100: So thats what you call it:newsmile100: Did it work?

Back