free website stats program ATF In Primary?????? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

ATF In Primary??????

I'm running ATF in my primary and the difference in clutch smoothness over regular oil was startling. Much smoother. As to dripping off the chain when setting I'm not as confident.

I'm new to harleys, but when I changed my primary oil to the ATF it seemed that the lower half of the primary chain was immersed in the oil. That would mean that only one half revolution of the chain would be "dry" if the position that ALL the oil would drip off (which I doubt). I'm pretty happy with how it's working. I've ridden in 100+ temps with a lot of clutch work due to parade traffic with no smell of burning ATF or loss in clutch smoothness. I also think that the aftermarket clutch manufacturers wouldn't be recommending it if they thought that it could damage the other primary components. Even if it was good for their clutches.

Anyway, not to say any of you are wrong, but I'm happy and feel pretty confident about my choice.

Caper

That's the most logical and reasonable post I have seen to date on the primary oil.

Many topics on this and truth be known, it will run on peanut oil if you are foolish enough to try it. As stated previously else where, that's why there are different compartments for fluids as there are different requirements for the different areas of the bike. Using the "one oil does all" theory will work but I'm interested in what will work best in each area, not to "simplify" the oil changing and maintenance by using the same oil everywhere. If you have to buy the oil, why not buy the specific oil that is best suited for the job.
Some dealers use the SYN 3 in all compartments for their own convenience and if you believe this is the best choice for you, then use it. The MOCO did come out with their Formula+ so if you feel the SYN 3 is the best choice in YOUR bike, then use it! They didn't change their outlook on the oil for no reason at all.

Speaking of which the comment in the above thread brought back what Amsoil used to push as their MTL and a few other products and since changed that their 20/50 ENGINE oil will do the job in all three compartments. Common guys, get off the fence and stop trying to "Market" what you think will sell the product to those that don't know the difference by making it look simple. Different requirements require different lubricants and an engine oil will not cut it in the long run.
You wouldn't put gear lube in the engine so why would you put engine oil in the gear box?

It's your money and your bike and also your choice as what to use but I prefer what is made for the specific application for longevity and best lubrication.
Glider so what are you running in youir primary ??

What do you guys think about using ATF in the primary?

I know on some other forums there are alot of people claiming to be running ATF in their primarys and having real good sucess with it. Personally I'm not willing to take the chance of having to replace clutch basket, primary chain and sprockets, adjusting shoes, plus any associated gaskets and seals just to try something that's not recomended in the first place. Personally I use 20/50 Amsoil in my primary and have had excellent results, whatever you use just make sure it's recomended for primarys.

Personally I do not see reason why one would use ATF "Automatic Transmission Fluid, in a primary...did I misread the acronym on the label...the only thing I see is Fluid, and frankly ATF is too thin and runny to stay in place where a primary chain is flinging that fluid all over inside not leaving much lubrication where your precious tensioner nylon shoes or normally OIL wetted clutch reside. Personally I would rather use a good MA rated oil in there as it more closely matches the high temperature, stress of all three holes of a Harley in one high performance inline 4 doing twice the RPM and almost twice the power...you do the math...don't run ATF, run a good lubricating oil without friction modifiers that can cause premature clutch failure. Works good for 190 HP in line 4's campaigning in Superbike contests every season.

Last edited:
I'm running a Bandit clutch and it recommends using atf in the primary and says do not use the harley primary stuff

running dex merc atf

I have never read or heard of anyone having problems resulting from using ATF in the primary. I have used it in the past. There is a noticeable improvement in smoothness of shifting and locating neutral.

It would be nice to hear from someone who used it and had problems or knows of someone that did. I have only heard positives from people who use it.

I'm running a Bandit clutch and it recommends using atf in the primary and says do not use the harley primary stuff

running dex merc atf

I'm not a rocket scientist here but I'd guess what fluid/oil you use depends on the clutch. If you're runnin a stock Harley clutch , use oil, if aftermarket clutch use what the manufacture recomends.

ATF is a very thin high detergent hydraulic type oil with friction modifiers, why would anyone want this in a primary?

Back