free website stats program 96 to 103 stage 2 conversion | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

96 to 103 stage 2 conversion

Dolt I'd like to personally thank you for spending the time and writing such a detailed description. I've researched and looked at everything you've mentioned. One question I have is what type of pushrods would you suggest. I have stock now so probably wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to adjustable. Your thoughts? Oh and who supplies the tts100 cams

Only two places to buy, direct from TTS Power Systems and R/C Cycles; both located in CA. Steve Cole invented the SERT and had a contract with the MoCo for years until the MoCo had learned enough from Steve to come up with the SESPT and kicked Steve to the curb. Steve then developed the TTS Mastertune which, IMHO, is the current state of the art fuel management system although the DJ Power Vision is a very close second. Steve came up with the TTS100 cams and designed the profile to deliver a bolt in cam that would make torque from idle to 4500 rpms; the TTS100 does just that. The cams were introduced early last year and Steve had trouble keeping up with demand but I think he has caught up and the lead time is not what it once was. Steve has never released the cam specs so I don't know what they are.

Call Vickie at TTS (310-669-8101) or Ron at R/C Cycles (510-472-9755) to order cams. The SE Quick Install Tapered pushrod are fine for your application. PN 18404-08 includes pushrods, O-rings, tubes and clips.

You will need a tuner and dyno tune, so check your local area for a competent dyno tuner and find out what system he likes to use. There are a couple of well known tuners in Canada but I don't know if they are near you.

You can DIY the project, just need the service manual, basic tools and patience. The bearing puller for the inner cam bearings can be rented from Auto Zone or Advanced Auto in the lower 48, just need to be sure the correct size collet is in the kit before you leave the store. Don't recall you including mileage or model year but if still running OEM lifters, it might be time to change to a set of S&S standards.

I upgraded my '07 Ultra (44,000 miles) with a SE 255 cam.
eBay cam/tappets with 200 miles and 200 miles on SE High Capacity tappets. $250 total on parts.
Perfect Fit pushrods. Never have to worry about an adjustable needing adjustment, Plus they are lighter and stronger.
New cam bearings ($20).
New Zippers dual piston cam chain tensioners. (Got a deal from J&P Cycles.)

Already running SE mufflers and SE air cleaner.
Power Commander 3 with new MAP M812-036 that matched my setup.
Ran strong with the new MAP.

Had a knowledgeable mechanic do the wrenching.
Parts and labor total was just under $1,000.
I provided the SE 255 cam, SE tappets, Zippers cam chain tensioners and Perfect Fit pushrods.
His labor with need gaskets was $450.
Don't have to always pay retail.

Now have HP 76.18 and torque of 95.25.
Possible to tweak it more when riding season comes but I'm happy.

I have yet to install my Barnett HD clutch disk ($32).
Needed because I can break the clutch loose in 5th and 6th gear if I get on it.
Just trying to save the clutch with the new power.
I have a Road Dog Widetrack Deluxe trailer.
I'll feel better with the extra power to pull it.

Good luck with your upgrade.
Just watch for deals and plan your parts.

Only two places to buy, direct from TTS Power Systems and R/C Cycles; both located in CA. Steve Cole invented the SERT and had a contract with the MoCo for years until the MoCo had learned

enough from Steve to come up with the SESPT and kicked Steve to the curb. Steve then developed the TTS Mastertune which, IMHO, is the current state of the art fuel management system although the DJ Power Vision is a very close second. Steve came up with the TTS100 cams and designed the profile to deliver a bolt in cam that would make torque from idle to 4500 rpms; the TTS100 does just that. The cams were introduced early last year and Steve had trouble keeping up with demand but I think he has caught up and the lead time is not what it once was. Steve has never released the cam specs so I don't know what they are.

Call Vickie at TTS (310-669-8101) or Ron at R/C Cycles (510-472-9755) to order cams. The SE Quick Install Tapered pushrod are fine for your application. PN 18404-08 includes pushrods, O-rings, tubes and clips.

You will need a tuner and dyno tune, so check your local area for a competent dyno tuner and find out what system he likes to use. There are a couple of well known tuners in Canada but I don't know if they are near you.

You can DIY the project, just need the service manual, basic tools and patience. The bearing puller for the inner cam bearings can be rented from Auto Zone or Advanced Auto in the lower 48, just need to be sure the correct size collet is in the kit before you leave the store. Don't recall you including mileage or model year but if still running OEM lifters, it might be time to change to a set of S&S standards.

I've tried both contact numbers and TTS was out of service and Ron @ RC was someone else not his business. Would you have a different contact number for either?

I've tried both contact numbers and TTS was out of service and Ron @ RC was someone else not his business. Would you have a different contact number for either?

Sorry, my bad; those are the last numbers I had. I will get back to you with some good numbers ASAP.

I dialed the TTS number and got a "closed for the day" message; I believe the number I provided for TTS is a good number; still checking the R/C Cycles number. You can also buy the cams from Doc's Performance in Florida, 352-404-6999

Last edited by a moderator:
I dialed the TTS number and got a "closed for the day" message; I believe the number I provided for TTS is a good number; still checking the R/C Cycles number. You can also buy the cams from Doc's Performance in Florida, 352-404-6999

I'll give Docs a call tomorrow. Honestly I appreciate this so much. Just an incredible person.

I have a '13 FXDC 96" with 22,000 stage 1 had the EPA tune done at dealer after the V&H big radius pipes were put on (1k miles)
I have the SEPRT? tuner. Dealer printout said HP 74 and TQ 88.
The TTS100 seems like it would be a inexpensive way to put some TQ into her. Along with the cam bearings
I keep the oil changed but run the absolute (EDIT) out of her, I would like to hear opinions about top-end longevity. I know a compression test is probably what I should do.

Thanks, Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a '13 FXDC 96" with 22,000 stage 1 had the EPA tune done at dealer after the V&H big radius pipes were put on (1k miles)
I have the SEPRT? tuner. Dealer printout said HP 74 and TQ 88.
The TTS100 seems like it would be a inexpensive way to put some TQ into her. Along with the cam bearings
I keep the oil changed but run the absolute hell out of her, I would like to hear opinions about top-end longevity. I know a compression test is probably what I should do.

Thanks, Steve

I am not sure what an EPA tune is but it sounds like you may have the SESPT (street tuner) which has limited capabilities compared to the SEPST (pro tuner). The SESPT will allow downloading of various calibrations but will not allow actual manual inputs to reconfigure the ECM based on dyno performance. Find out which tuner you have before selecting a cam set. If the tuner is the SESPT, there won't be a factory download for after market cams and/or aftermarket exhaust. If you have the SEPST, cam selection is wide open and the bike can be actually tuned on a dyno.

The numbers you have are not bad for Stage I 96 with BR exhaust; that exhaust is not known to make power like the V&H Propipe, Bassani Pro Streets, D&D Fat Cat or Thunderheader.

TheTTS100, SE255, TMan 555 Torkster should push those numbers up to 80+HP and 100TQ assuming the tuner is the SEPST. If the tuner is the SESPT, cam selection will be limited to the SE cams like the 255 or 204; I assume there is a download for a Stage I motor with those cams but it will be a calibration for SE exhaust, i.e., stock head pipe with SE slipons.

At 22K miles I would not worry about top end longevity but a compression test to establish a baseline for future reference is a good idea. If you maintain the motor and don't abuse it, you can get as many miles out of your top end, with cams, as you would if you left it stock.

The numbers you have are not bad for Stage I 96 with BR exhaust; that exhaust is not known to make power like the V&H Propipe, Bassani Pro Streets, D&D Fat Cat or Thunderheader.
My 2009 96CI With a SE255 cam D&D Fat Cat pipes and TTS tuner Max TQ=100.4; MaxHP=89.21
I went on a 2 mile ride his passed Sunday. I was screw'n around and opened it up. I chirped the rear tire when I hit 2nd gear passing (like he was standing still) a friend on a Road King 103. This new rear tire will not last long. :rolleyes:

Back