free website stats program 2008 softail ticking | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 softail ticking

Does it get louder or does it level out when you give it some throttle? You may want to go to a place like Harbor Freight and pick up a cheap stethoscope and see if you can isolate the sound. It sure sounds like valve train noise, possibly a bad lifter.

Last edited:
It sounds like it's mostly in the top front rocker. I used a ambulance stethoscope and the screwdriver. That's where I'm hearing the knocking

Could be a broken valve spring or possibly a broken rocker arm. My suggestion would be to pull the rocker box and see what it looks like inside.

(EDIT). Wasn't hoping for that. I have to pull the tank for that right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea, it will give you more room to work. Removing the tank and rocker box really isn't that bad of a job. Patients is key to success. If you need to take pictures so you remember how it goes back together.

Here's another one

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to check to see if it is a lifter or pushrods. I have all stock the rods are not adjustable. Before I go ripping the tank off and getting into the rockerbox I'd rather eliminate the lifters first. Thank you all for all the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Send Bodeen a private message and ask him what he did.
He just recently had a lifter issue and had to replace them.

Back