free website stats program 2008 softail ticking | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 softail ticking

So is it possible it could be from the leak?

Unless everything is lined up perfectly and tightened down evenly on both sides of the studs and torqued to the proper value you stand the chance of an exhaust leak.

Recheck your work just to make sure.

Yes I know it's still leaking I'm wondering if the sucking is from the leak

Also, sorry for all the questions but do you know if the thunderheader goes into the port or bolts up flush. I couldn't get it to go in the port at all

Last edited by a moderator:
The sucking you are in reference to is normal. You can probably see the same results on your car muffler. Has to do with valves opening, closing and reverbs(IIRC) in the pipe. Dolt could probably explain it better than me.
As far as the pipe going into the port on the head, the end is usually some what rounded but tapered and will go in partially but not all the way. The outer edge of the rounded part is caught by the exhaust flange to push it into the port as you tighten the exhaust nuts.
tourbox

You may have to loosen some of the mounting brackets to get it lined up perfectly, nothing worse than fighting it to line things up. Tighten both nuts evenly as you draw it in and torque to the proper value.

Ok I'll give it a shot. Thanks a ton guys. Be safe

Well, exhaust is up and no leaks. Still ticking away. Now it sounds like it's the front rocker. Using a stethoscope that's the only place I hear noise. Spring or valve I'm guessing

Top end on Harleys do make a little clatter. Are you running synthetic oil? most get a little more noise using it.

Yeah I use amsoil. This isn't the typical sewing machine noise. This is a flat out tick. And it's a new tick

Sooooo. Had it checked by the dealer today. Tech took it for a ride. Got the usual they all do that. Just hopped back on and headed home. When I got home I noticed the exhaust sounded a little different. Doesn't seem like there's a lot of pressure coming out of it now.

Someone might have mentioned this previously, but get a work glove or oven mitt (don't let your wife catch you sneaking it out of the kitchen!) and momentarily hold it across the end of the Thunderheader exhaust while the engine is idling to see if you can hear a definite leak at the header/head interface. If you can, then you still have a leak.

If not, then the ticking you might be hearing could be your rockers moving back and forth on the rods and tapping against the rod bracket or more likely the shafts rocking against the bolts. Do some searches on here or on the Internet for "Rocker Locker". Check to see if this sounds like it (see the video):

http://rockerlockers.com/

Cheers,

TQ

Last edited:
Lol ok. I was using my firefighting gloves from work, less likely to get yelled at. I'll check out the rocker locker but I'm wondering if it's still exhaust cause it sounds different now. Hard to explain but it's different

Back