free website stats program 2008 softail ticking | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 softail ticking

I've got it all set to go, got the tank up and the cover will be coming off tmrw. Been too long of a day today to get into it tonight. Can you actually start it with the rocker cover off?? Or actually should you start it with the rocker cover off??

Yes you can run it with the cover off, that way you can observe the valve train action.
Do a good inspection for anything loose or broken.

Can you actually start it with the rocker cover off?? Or actually should you start it with the rocker cover off??

Like Jeff said, you can run it with the top cover off, but I suggest having the bike as upright as possible and keep the rpms low to minimize the splashing the rockers will cause. You will probably have oil splashed around by the rockers anyway.

Cheers,

TQ

Tighten it back down to specks and give her a try. Check the torque on all of them before you put it back together.

WE ARE BACK!!!! I can't believe that stupid bolt was the cause. I backed them all off and retorqued them to the manual. Back to sounding like an angry sewing machine. Thank you everyone, Jeff, Bodeen, Tourbox, TQuentin everyone. If anyone else ever comes across a timex sounding 96", tell them to check the rocker support bolts and don't keep riding until you do so you don't snap the thing. First ride in 3 weeks tmrw out to the beach. I dunno if I'm more excited I'm going riding or mad that a stupid loose bolt kept me from riding. Who cares it's over now!! Be safe everyone and thank you all again

Thanks guys. I've decided too that this winter I want to strip it down and start doing some upgrades. I'm pretty well stock other then the stage 1. Any suggestions on where to begin. I'm gonna go next week and start looking into a new exhaust and a fuel management system.

Back