free website stats program 2008 softail ticking | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 softail ticking

Not really. I have over 30K on my dresser's exhaust. They make 2 different types. A SE one is flat & round like a washer & about1/8-3/16 thick. The other is stock however is thicker & tapered to the inside. I like the stock one better, P/N 65324-83B at $6.85 each. it seals better for me. Don't know the SE P/N
tourbox

Yea when I put vacuum hose up to the gasket I'm hearing a whoosh sound and still got the mild tick. Replace it?

If you have signs of soot around the flange and head then you have a exhaust leak. Changing the gasket and torquing it to it's proper torque value should fix your issue.

Don't know why they loosen, mine do it over time, its now part of my PM. I go 120 as the manual states, if that doesn't fix it, new gaskets may.

Expansion and contraction of the heat cycles cause them to loosen. Add vibration to equation.

Well, changed the seals. Ticking seems very faint but both head pipes turned a nice shade of blue

Is that just a leak or something else?? It's a 2 to 1 thunderheader

Last edited by a moderator:
After a few heat and cool down cycles retorque.

Is that just a leak or something else?? It's a 2 to 1 thunderheader

You may be hearing top end rocker noise. If you changed seals and torqued to proper value you should be good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bluing on the head pipe close to the engine is normal i've never had a bike that didn't. heat shields normally will cover the area where the bluing occurs. A good chroming job will reduce it and cheaper chroming will blue more in my experience.

Back