free website stats program 06 dyna Rotor-Stator | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

06 dyna Rotor-Stator

Thanks Guys, I feel like part of the family already. I am going to look into this a little deeper, not really riding much now but by spring I will have this resolved somehow! I would still like to hear a few GOOD stories from this year and model, as a life long HD Rider I hate to think they all are aimed at self destruction! Thanks Again

Hello, I just purchased an 06 Dyna Wide Glide with 5000 miles, should I "freak out" and get this done!!!!! Out of the tens of thousands of these on the road what is the percentage, anyone know??? Money is tight right now and many Dealerships would welcome the work but I just don't have the $$$ now. Hope someone out there can help me get some sleep again. Thank you, Moose
well mine just failed last week I have 29k on it. but my buddys failed at 6k and another at 20k and we all work together they were all o6s factory bulit in sept 05 the cost for me was $1242.22 it happen all of a sudden. thank goodness for ESP. so what i am trying to say HD has a repair for it (upgrade) but wont amitt they have a problem

Great video. It clearly shows that welded Compensator cover. I can't believe the radical departure of stator design along with magnet numbers and placement vs. the Genuine Harley setup.

I have a friend who will be able to translate the video for me because I really would like to understand the audio.

Thanks for the info. Makes a lot more sense now.:p

Hoop!

Hoop if u get it translated Id like yo hear it that is a cheesy looking alternator looks foreign in design, Jack

Well mine went out @ a little over 24K ,this is the dealings behind it . Fri Oct 30th got the bike out for a little ride ,noticed it kinda hesitated a little starting . Cranked her up let her warm up a little ,then for a ride around town ,and such for about 3 hours .Got back to the house ,shut her down to cool off so I could wash it . Well after the cool down period and washing it, got ready to start it back up and back in the garage.Hit the starter and what do you know ,would not start !!!!!! Decided not to fool with it anymore until the next morning .
Next morning rolled around tried to start it again,nothing . Decided to put a battery charger on for a while . Finally got her to crank ,decided to ride it up to the local Dealership and see what was going on . OK got to the dealership and rode it into the maint bay and shut her down . Told the service writer what the prob was ,and was told no one was there to look at it being it was Saturday !!!!.(Give me a break) could not believe this !!! So...... was told it would be Tuesday before they would know anything . Well tues rolls around and I recieve a phone call ,from the dealership telling me my battery was fried . Ok ,but did you check the charging system ??? Ah......no we need a battery (good ) to check it out . Told them ok ,fine . Well recieve another phone call about 2 hours later ,was told that my (stater or Stator ) was fried ,and it would be week for them to get one . I was looking at about 2 weeks before getting it back !!!! OH (EDIT) NO ,that is not going to get it !!!! Asked if the called around to the other dealers in the area ,to inquire as to if they had one . Yep !!! sure did !!!! .Was told that the other dealerships in the area didn't really like getting parts from them ,HMMMM. OK ,maybe this was true,but had to find out myself . Called a dealer about 50 miles from me and asked about a stator ,nope didn't have one my our sister dealership shows to have one . Alright cool ,lets get this thing going . Called the sister dealership and yes, in fact they did have one . Called back the dealership who had my bike and told them what I had found ,was then told that along with the Stator being bad . The voltage regulator was also bad ,(which they had in stock ) and it also needed a rotor . I had enough,hung up and called back to talk to the GM ,told him about what the hell had been going on ,he told me he would check it out and call me back . OK ,called be back and told me that he was going to order the parts ,and have them overnighted and would have my bike back no later than this coming Fri. He also said that he would eat the overnight charge ,which was fine with me . Just wanted to know why someone who worked for him ,would out and out "LIE" to a customer ?? No Reply,go figure . Thank God for the ESP!!!!!

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoop if u get it translated Id like yo hear it that is a cheesy looking alternator looks foreign in design, Jack

Jack,
I had the entire video translated. He does not talk about anything regarding the repair or how to do it. Here is just 3/4 of it. The last 1/4 he really gets into being upset about having to pay for the parts out of his pocket because the bike is an 06 and the warranty is up. The surprising thing is he says the parts are Genuine and came from Harley. They sure don't look Genuine to me.

This is about 3/4 of the video. In the last 1/4 or so he really feels he was treated unfairly and says a few things that I won't print..
I really can understand how this man feels. I would probably feel the same way if I had an '06 that threw a rotor with 22.5 K miles on it....
As a matter of fact I know I would feel the same way. According to the conversion $ rate, he paid a Grand for the parts.

This is the translated Spanish Video.

Hi, We are going to start with the damage here. Here is the replacement part and we are going to show/prove it is totally different. This is the old part. You can see it has 8 screws that break. See in the video they look like toy screws. And the new part.. Oh my this one is welded. Totally changed. What a surprise huh and this is the kit(stator). Both parts will substitute… And this was not known by Harley? I think so. Now I am going to have to eat it all because the warranty is over. The bike only has about 36,000 kilometers . See the new part, it comes welded. These parts are not another brand. These are Harley parts. This is the part Harley sends to repair the damage. See the 8 screws are broken. Now see the new part. To me Harley must be aware of this and also the service dept in Spain must be aware of it. They are playing dumb. As you can tell the parts are totally different. Why would Harley modify a part that in theory works well. They know the original part is not a good part. To me, Harley should pay for this repair. The grandson of the founder should know that he owes me 6-7 hundred euro. When I gave them the money for the bike, it was hard earned dollars. Why do they sell a bike with such an engineering defect. I guess everyone earns their money how they can. I guess they have found several of these that have this kind of damage.

Thanks Hoop, I thought the parts looked like imports also, Jack

Hey, listen. Any manufacturer has the right to make product improvements along the line without incurring liability to previous purchasers to make them current. If the part fails during the warranty time, guess what, they'll cover it. If it doesn't, maybe they will anyway. Sometimes Harley does. Just because they didn't in this guy's case doesn't make them, or any of their representatives along the line, bad/evil/whatever.

Maybe this guy should've ridden his bike more instead of just sitting in the garage rubbing the chrome? Could've become an issue while still under warranty.

Hey, listen. Any manufacturer has the right to make product improvements along the line without incurring liability to previous purchasers to make them current. If the part fails during the warranty time, guess what, they'll cover it. If it doesn't, maybe they will anyway. Sometimes Harley does. Just because they didn't in this guy's case doesn't make them, or any of their representatives along the line, bad/evil/whatever.

Maybe this guy should've ridden his bike more instead of just sitting in the garage rubbing the chrome? Could've become an issue while still under warranty.

Whoa! What's this all about?

Many 2006 Dyna owners have experienced the flaw to their 2 piece rotor. It IS a design flaw. That is what we do here is discuss problems and solutions. You shouldn't be judging an owners riding (or cleaning) habits and pointing the finger at him.

Don't like it.... there's the door.

Back