free website stats program 06 dyna Rotor-Stator | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

06 dyna Rotor-Stator

Only a few things would concern me if you want to do that. Of course the number of magnets in the old rotor should be the same (or more) than the new. None of the magnets can be cracked. Each magnet MUST be whole. Above all, the key thing is magnet strength. Magnet strength will diminish over time caused by heat and vibration. As long as the old rotor magnets have the same "lifting Strength" I would have no problem using the old rotor. Rig up something that can test the lifting abiliy of the magnets & compare the old rotor with the new rotor.

The output of the system, 38 vs 40 amps is going to be more of a funtion of the stator & regulator. As far as the rotor is concerned, magnet strength will directly influence output voltage....

Hope this helps.

Hoop!

Don't quibble over the 2 amp difference in rating. Get the newer part specified for your engine. Get the whole stator/rotor kit and fix it just the once.

The way I understand it, he did. It's not the two amps. The rotor he purchased in the kit does not fit. At least that's how I understand it. ??

Hoop!

Hi All:
Thanks for all your help. I went ahead and ordered the 40356-06B kit from Zanotti's. Hope they either have it in stock or can get it drop shipped to me.
Attached is a photo of my beat up stator. I'm lucky it didn't do any more damage.
Now I'm having a problem getting the inner primary chain case off. Please read my post in the 06 dyna IPB thread.
Thanks much,
QehQeh

Attachments

• Stator.jpg
    Stator.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 53
Not knowing exactly where you are at right now with the fitment, but do replace all the parts with newer version 2007 kit...no reason to piece out the old parts, as they are likely "stressed" and may have non visible micro fractures within, as magnets are very brittle, losing magnetic properties especially if heated, shocked (mechanically) or cracked due to vibration. You do not want to be repeating this activity anytime soon...

Last edited:
Hello, I just purchased an 06 Dyna Wide Glide with 5000 miles, should I "freak out" and get this done!!!!! Out of the tens of thousands of these on the road what is the percentage, anyone know??? Money is tight right now and many Dealerships would welcome the work but I just don't have the $$$ now. Hope someone out there can help me get some sleep again. Thank you, Moose

Hello, I just purchased an 06 Dyna Wide Glide with 5000 miles, should I "freak out" and get this done!!!!! Out of the tens of thousands of these on the road what is the percentage, anyone know??? Money is tight right now and many Dealerships would welcome the work but I just don't have the $$$ now. Hope someone out there can help me get some sleep again. Thank you, Moose

There have been numerous problems with the rotor/stator. Yours may go one day.

The problem seems exacerbated when you read about it on a forum. Everything you read deals with people who have experienced the failures. Nobody has started a thread titled "06 Dyna Rotor/Stator Works Fine".

I have 25,000 miles on my 06 with no issues YET. There is no doubt in my mind that mine is up for potential failure, whether within the next 100 miles or 10,000 miles down the road. My winter mods will include replacing the IPB with the Baker replacement and replacing the Rotor with the one piece unit.

Go ahead and get some sleep. Realize you may prevent a failure with yours by saving up some funds and by replacing it when you can afford it. Make for a cheaper fix by investing in a service manual and doing the work yourself.

Jmpancoast has the right idea, just ride...the primary inspection is something done at your leisure. It means removing mainly a lot of cover screws (not the simpler "derby" cover removal) but easy enough for a DIYer project. Just have the gasket, manual, torx/allen bits, simple handtools and above all patience and an open mind to learn...all of which comes with ownership and time.

Enjoy...Harley ownership need not be expensive, IF you can do routine things, and stick with us at HDT, where all here to help. When we say use the best recommended oils for example, 100% synthetic is nice and can be had for $6.99 or $14.99, but it is only 1 quart and Dino oil, Semi-Synthetics "HAVE" been used without engine self destruction...! So go with your comfort level, instincts, budget and understanding that what works for you and DIY mainitenance done properly will go a long way towards the bottom line!

Maybe I don't understand the entire problem, but for the price of some gaskets, oil and self labor can't you fix the rotor screws so this problem won't happen. If I had an '06 that possible would throw a rotor, the first chance I got I would fix those fasteners from coming loose. Even if your not a "wrench" by trade, maybe you have a friend that is and can help you do it. From what I see, if you wait, it will cost you $800 to $1000 plus maybe breaking down in the middle of nowhere. What could it cost you to do it yourself with the help of a friend..maybe $100 tops?

Hoop!

Hi All:

I received my stator and rotor - the rotor is the wrong part - doesn't have the "spring cover assy" welded to it.
Thanks for any help,
QehQeh

If you could, I would really like to see a picture of the two rotors so i can really understand what the spring cover looks like.

Back