free website stats program What states are checking motorcycles? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

What states are checking motorcycles?

Florida stopped safety checking cars and motorcycles almost twenty years ago. In those years there hasn't been an accident yet caused by the failure of any thing they used to check. This fact drives the highway patrol and the safety liars nuts.

Maricopa County in Arizona actually does emission testing on all motorcycles over 5 years old, just like cars. I believe we are the only county in the nation that does this, and it is supposed to be dropped anytime soon, but I'm not holding my breath. We also have a small town just north of Phoenix that has sound ordinances that they enforce, and many riders have been cited for too loud pipes. Little by little all our freedoms are being taken away!

CA has a new law SB435 that requires motorcycle exhaust must be less than 80dB's but the Cops don't get dB's meters ta test your ride with so there's little enforcment right now.........the City's seem to be going after loud pipes more than anyone else....SF, LA places like that. The new law also requires any bike built after 2013 to have a EPA stamp on it. I got a buddy in New York City's that's scared out of his wits though, won't even ride his bike in the city, seems they got a law that'll fine ya $1000 bucks the 1st time they catch you with a non EPA approved Exhaust, they also take your bike until ya pay the fine. If they catch you again........it's $2500 and you don't get your bike back!!!!

CA has a new law SB435 that requires motorcycle exhaust must be less than 80dB's but the Cops don't get dB's meters ta test your ride with so there's little enforcment right now.........the City's seem to be going after loud pipes more than anyone else....SF, LA places like that. The new law also requires any bike built after 2013 to have a EPA stamp on it. I got a buddy in New York City's that's scared out of his wits though, won't even ride his bike in the city, seems they got a law that'll fine ya $1000 bucks the 1st time they catch you with a non EPA approved Exhaust, they also take your bike until ya pay the fine. If they catch you again........it's $2500 and you don't get your bike back!!!!

OH BOY......... I cringed when I read this:( .... Im really afraid when all the states see what a revenue stream this can be ,, look-out. I do not know anybody who is riding with the stock exhaust, including the local sheriff, in fact his bike is louder than mine. A sad state of affairs,

Truth is, the cost to implement and conduct a motorcycle smog check program will cost California, or any state, more than the value of the emissions it's estimated to save. But, we all know government entities don't always use common sense. Note: I'm not trying to make a political statement, just being honest.

I really hate to get political here but I see the Feds giving the states the nod to do what ever it takes to fill there coffers and take the Burden off the Feds, making them look like the good guys, JMO Hope I am wrong on this one

Texas on I-35 between RoundRock and Georgetown. If you're not wearing a helmet, they're pulling you over and asking for your Medical Insurance Card. You can ride without a helmet in Texas but must have Medical Insurance of $100,000 in coverage. If you don't have your card, it's a $135 ticket.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correctin..can't figure out how to edit last post: Law used to be $10,000 in health insurance, but GOV Perry changed in June 2009( Senate Bill 1967) . You have to be able to show "Health insurance plan that provides benefits for health care services or for medical or surgical expenses incurred as a result of an accident.

Here is another correction, if you have a current motorcycle safety course card, it works the same as the insurance. Also, now you have to take the course to get your "M" endorsement.

Back