free website stats program What states are checking motorcycles? | Harley Davidson Forums

What states are checking motorcycles?

Retrop

Tell us is you live in a state that is actively checking your motorcycle for sound or smog compliance when you get your annual inspection sticker. I am curious as to who is actually doing it today. I think it is on the immediate horizon for all of us. It will put a big time crimp in all the aftermarket mufflers makers and the fuel management device makers.

I can tell that Arkansas is NOT checking, nor is it a requirement. However, if your bike sounds too loud or if someone reports it as being too loud, it's up to the officer to determine if he/she writes you up. Pretty ambiguous to me. And you'd most likely spend more $s fighting it than simply paying the ticket.

It's just a matter of when, not if, all states start testing or worse yet make owners pay to have it tested/certified prior to licensing.

The state of Florida is not checking, but there are a few cities that are starting to implement sound ordinances.

Texas does not check either. Heck your inspection sticker is the same one that you use on trailers, and unless you go to a bike shop they dont even know what they are looking for most times.

Delaware definitely checks for noise. if you fail at 1 state facility and try to go to another on the same day, the computer picks it up and it fails automatically.

Most of the big name bike shops around Pittsburgh will not inspect if bike has drag pipes. Will not even pull it in to check the bike over till exhaust is changed. If things keep going like they are I would not be surprised if a Federal Mandated Emission Program is enacted like it was for car several years back. Basically no tampering with emissions so that it would pass emission test or possible fine up to $10,000 per occurrence. That put a quick stop to repair shops tampering with any emission components.

Back