free website stats program What states are checking motorcycles? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

What states are checking motorcycles?

With all of the problems, money wise, that NJ is having, axing the motorcycle inspections was a good move. It was a "visual" inspection, that is, you parked your scoot at the inspection station, went inside and got an agent, who came out, looked at your credentials, had you turn on the bike to check for noise, do your turn signals, etc.. These are things your can take care of yourself (and should). If all the "necessities" on your bike are good, and you are stopped, you should be good to go. I should point out that all inspection stations in NJ are privately run, and the more people they see for inspection and/or reinspection because you failed at first, the more $$$$ they get. Just another cost saving move on the part of our Gov.

Maine just changed the law and started. New York has had roadblocks for a couple of years near events like Americade (must be those rowdy Gold Wing riders).

Be ready everyone, the NHTSA has released money for motorcycle only roadblocks. Check MRF website FMI. I posted a copy of the e mail here on the General section.

Texas on I-35 between RoundRock and Georgetown. If you're not wearing a helmet, they're pulling you over and asking for your Medical Insurance Card. You can ride without a helmet in Texas but must have Medical Insurance of $100,000 in coverage. If you don't have your card, it's a $135 ticket.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correctin..can't figure out how to edit last post: Law used to be $10,000 in health insurance, but GOV Perry changed in June 2009( Senate Bill 1967) . You have to be able to show "Health insurance plan that provides benefits for health care services or for medical or surgical expenses incurred as a result of an accident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iowa does not inspect bikes or cars . Several years ago 70's they did inspectios but it was such a joke , you'd give a guy at a garage 10 bucks for a sticker and he wouldn't even look at it so they dropped it . We don't have a helmet law either .

Oklahoma dropped annual vehicle inspections a few years ago. Technically, OK law says that no motorcycle (or car) exhaust can be modified to be any more loud than from the factory. The only time I know of when that has been enforced was a few years ago when a local restaurant/bar in a mostly residential area had bike nights. They were stopped due to the number of residents complaining about the noise. There were a number of tickets issued around there at that time.

My question is are all the Harley's currently build already complying with Calif EPA standards and technically already illegal to modify exhaust systems? Fortunately there is little enforcement for these modifications. I do know that in San Francisco, they will cite for modified loud exhaust. I've never been stopped over there, but have heard of many being stopped and issued a citation for this.

Haven't read all of the posts, but Alabama is another state that does not check. Until last year you bought your tags in a GROCERY STORE. Since they all closed here in northern Alabama, I have been going on the arsenal to get what I needed. While I was out riding yesterday I saw a sign indicating the revenue department is opening a branch office in an old restaraunt that has closed due to the current state of the economy.

Back