free website stats program twin cam case | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

twin cam case

OK, I believe that with help from you guys and some research what this innocent is looking for is a 1999 through 2002 tc case which should have the timken bearing. In which case I would just need to bore cylinder bore out to 4 1/8". That is if the case is good in all other respects. Does this seem right?

OK, I believe that with help from you guys and some research what this innocent is looking for is a 1999 through 2002 tc case which should have the timken bearing. In which case I would just need to bore cylinder bore out to 4 1/8". That is if the case is good in all other respects. Does this seem right?

Yep, that should work, have you looked at Chops Garage yet?

Thanks Jack, I checked out his site and it looks like he could handle it. If I can't come up with a case that is probably my best bet.

You haven't said whether the crack is on the left or right side case. If it is the right side case then I would consider that lucky.It will pull off by hand once the Seam seal is broken.The left side must be pressed out and special tools for timken bearing removal & install. I would still have the cases welded if possible.Keeps same Vin# info.,a lot cheaper also.You can do a Google search for several MC shops that have years of experience doing that.The one Jack suggested would probably do you a good job.I have had trannys,primarys,and assorted things aluminum welded in the past with no problems.Your ride,Your money,Your decision.Hope it works out. Also you would need the A type case,soft tail is different.The TC88B didn't come out until 2000.1999 Soft tails were still Evo motors.
tourbox

Sorry tourbox, it is the left side. What worries me is that I haven't yet been able to tell if the leak is in the epoxy or the seam. I hope to put some dye in warm oil and check for sure. Thing is I am afraid the case is distorted enough to need surfacing which makes it a different colored cat. Also welding, if successful with oil contamination, will distort case even further. As a retired heavy equipment mechanic I am well aware of the limits of surfacing. As I know little about HD engines I am concerned about a perfect seam that will not leak after a rebuild. Thats the reason for wanting a nice case. I know what you are saying about #'s but in this state if the frame # matchs the title vin your home free.

I first want to wish you good luck with your problem. I don't know if it is possible but when Harley does a reman if the left case is not repairable they destroy the case and give you your same Vin # on a new case, check with your Harley dealer to see if you can have them send in your left case and have a new one (not machined) made with your Vin #. I also know that someone that knows welding can heat the part and purge the area to be welded, so welding really is a viable alternative. Keep us posted on your progress.

You do have a problem.It sounds as if the Epoxy is still in place. Does it cover both cases,L&R? I would remove the Epoxy to see whats under there,if you haven't already. What I gathered from your original post the motor is out of the frame? The case halves are not flat like your outer primary to inner primary. It's hard for me to describe but they are more like 2 'L's,turned 180degs. from each other that overlap each other,if that make sense.They are glued on that seam with a compound you can get at HD or use a compound called YamaBond from Yamaha. Maybe they weren't sealed correctly are just wore out. I had a friend with a 18-24 month old RK that happened to.It was repaired by Dealer under warranty. In Texas the tilte #'s versus frame is the same as your state.I know you got some serious decision making going on.Good luck with it and keep us posted
tourbox

OK, I have the engine apart and the case took one heck of a hit. The crack is on the left side and is not very long but the distortion in that area is what worries me. It pushed the bottom up about a 1/4" and also hit hard beside this area. After getting it to where I could see things better I could tell it was leaking at the seam in several places which to me means the mating surfaces would need to be surfaced also. I am thinking HD exchange cases is probably my best bet. Any suggestions on where to get some. I found one dealer that seems reasonable, Ronnies Harley. I have not dealt or heard of them before but I am in Oregon and I believe they are Kentucky. Maybe something closer?

Back