free website stats program twin cam case | Harley Davidson Forums

twin cam case

corrigon

Contributor
My project bike has a 124" s&s conversion using original hd case. The case has a crack on the bottom that has been epoxied and has slow leak. My question is, if I buy a used case, how much machine work will it need to use the 124 parts? I am aware of the need to bore to 4 1/8" but is there any other machine work that would be necessary for flywheel relief or such? Also this is a 1999 dyna and so far I haven't been able to pin down which cases of which models I could use. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm sure you should check with S&S and that they can point you in the right direction. If I remember correctly the roller bearings on the crank are changed to timpkin taper rollers and this requires boring the case and recessing the bore for a capture/cover plate. This is on the left side case and I really can't remember if the right side recieved the same treatment or not.

That is what I was worried about. I didn't know if s&s would or could help because of not having their part #. The engine number on it is the abreviated vin number for the bike and also I have no history of who done the work. I suppose my only option is to go ahead and tear it down and find out that way. I was hoping to save time by having a case here when I got that far. The bike was damaged and I stripped it to bare frame so any time saved redoing it would help. I will try s&s as you suggested and thank you for the help.

'99 cases should have the Timken bearings already.They(HD) didn't change that bearing until '03 or '04. If you are splitting the cases anyway find your crack and have it professionally welded.Do you know why it cracked?
tourbox

You may ship them back to The MOCO to get exchanged crank case with your Original VIN:s

No I have no idea how it got cracked but the bike seems to have had a rough life. I bought it as a keep busy project from a guy that has some deal with an insurance co. It had fork, front wheel and frame damage. When I tore it down I found the engine patch job and two ears on the tran. had been welded so it had been abused before this last one. Whoever had it before was riding it with the leaky case. (maybe why he went down?) Anyhow the frame is done, the wheel straightened and I am in the process of changing tran. case. The engine is next which is a shame to have to tear it down because it runs really nice but I don't want to halfway the job. However, S&S wants $1800 for a new case ready for the 124 but wow. I am doing this for one of our boys and I haven't looked in his wallet so I have to be careful with the bucks. If I got a case from HD it would still need to be machined Jack and I can't imagine HD being very reasonable.

No I have no idea how it got cracked but the bike seems to have had a rough life. I bought it as a keep busy project from a guy that has some deal with an insurance co. It had fork, front wheel and frame damage. When I tore it down I found the engine patch job and two ears on the tran. had been welded so it had been abused before this last one. Whoever had it before was riding it with the leaky case. (maybe why he went down?) Anyhow the frame is done, the wheel straightened and I am in the process of changing tran. case. The engine is next which is a shame to have to tear it down because it runs really nice but I don't want to halfway the job. However, S&S wants $1800 for a new case ready for the 124 but wow. I am doing this for one of our boys and I haven't looked in his wallet so I have to be careful with the bucks. If I got a case from HD it would still need to be machined Jack and I can't imagine HD being very reasonable.

I can't imagine getting a case from HD and having it machined for much less ( if any ) than the S&S case, and with the S&S case you could have it ready to go when you tear down the motor.

My thoughts exactly hogrotten. Tourbox has the idea that sounds the most inviting but it seems that trying to weld oil soaked aluminum is a gamble in itself. I sure have no desire to do this twice. I have contacted S&S about the machine work involved with using a used case. I wouldn't really blame them if they didn't want to get involved. On this subject, do any of you guys know which models would have the same cases? This being a 1999 dyna glide twin cam I guess it is the first tc used.

From what I can find what you're looking for is an early model twin cam A model case. I would imagine that twin cam a model up to 04 should work.

"JIMS 120" and 131" Twin Cam Fits 1999 and later Touring, Dyna models."

This is from the Jims engine web page and they are referring to the Alpha or "A" model cased engine.
JIMS Engines

Hope this helps ya. :bigsmiley12:

Thank you hogrotten, it does help. If I didn't live in such a rural area it would be easier to get info about these engines but I believe were sneaking up on it. Thanks again.

Back