free website stats program twin cam case | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

twin cam case

What dealers are in your area? You could next day air the case from Ronnies for a bit extra:s

Now this is just me talking.
OK. You can bore the cases out to accommodate the 124 jugs. That is just part of it as I see it. You have added much more HP and torque to cases that HD them selves don't recommend boring out but for 110 jugs. That being said, S & S cases can handle the added HP and torque the motor can produce. Now the question is, since you, like all of us, are on a budget. Can you afford to buy and bore stock HD cases and possibly have another case issue later or take a little time, save up and buy some stronger cases and do it right one time....Just sayin.

I checked with my closest dealer and they come within $80.00 of Ronnies which saves some shipping and packing. Also Redfish, this case was cracked from a wreck not from too much power. Also, which is my usual luck when buying something and believing what the guy said, it turned out not to be a S&S 124" engine. It has S&S heads, Arlen Ness rockers and 96" top end with orginal HD cases. Duh. From the HD numbers on the cyl. I believe it was just bored to 4 7/8. Is that much out of a standard cyl. possible?

Stock bore on an 88ci is 3.75 in.,stroke of 4.00in.On a 96ci bore is 3.75(same) and stroke of 4.375.This per HD service manual. Are you sure you have a 4 7/8in bore? Being it is a 1999 I would think someone just put the 95ci conversion on it with the extra heads and rockers.You said quote"from the HD numbers on the Cyl." leads me to this conclusion.If that was the case then your cases should have the original spigot bore for stock or 95ci cylinders.It's hard to believe you have that large of a bore(4 7/8) but I guess you could.
tourbox

That was a misprint tourbox, I meant THREE and 7/8 bore. The spigot measures 4.05 od, is that standard case bore? Also as I understand these engines had chain drive for cams but this one has gears. Better or worse? I have seen where gears were noisy and chains had adjuster problems.

The 95ci was a 3 7/8 in boar.It increased from 3.75in to 3.875in.I doing some research on the spigot bore,can't find as yet.On the HD TC88 conversion to a 95ci NO machine work to the engine cases was needed.4.05 od may be stock. I like the gear drive set ups. Less stuff to wear out,ie chains,tensioner etc. While your crank assy. is out though have your wheels checked for trueness/run out.There are tolerances for the run out on the pinion shaft for gear drives.If you know the mfg. of the gear drive set they could probably tell you.Earlier TC's may not have been as critical.They can also tell you how to check you gear lash for fitment.Too tight and they whine,too loose they sound like bad tappet noise. The gears are replaceable to eliminate noises.
tourbox

Now there is some info. I can use. I am hoping you are right about the spigot bore being std. as after getting into this engine I found the front piston and cyl scored, enough that I doubt another .010 would clean it up. If so I would buy a 96" kit that fits std spigot. Also if this is original cyl's and they were bored to 95" I don't know whether you could go anymore. I happen to be going to the closest town with a HD dealer today and will probably order my cases and ask some questions as like you I have not been able to run down std. spigot numbers. The info on cam gears and pinion shaft is very helpful to me tourbox and I thank you.

My crank run-out on my 2000 FXDS build to 95" was .0015 thous by a proper machinist dial indicator (good). the suggest allowed to go gear drives without poblems was .0025 (My figures) Max.

The gear drives are a BIG bonus here, I hate them Nasty ceramic shoes..

IF Gear Drives aren't making the noise Clickckckckl or whine that they do make when Not properly fitted... GOOD.
The gears on these cams come in different sizes when you Measure up properly and run-out is good... Buying gears for the proper fit is Needed and done at the time you order them... BUT can be bought and redone properly,,, but$$$ for them now

As far as piston scored, Ruined cylinder? Look on Ebay OR HD sites for used parts for sale... I'd be buying a set of used 88" cylinders to replace your present ones for a total New Rebore witn new pistons/ring in each.:D

Origiinal bored cylinders to 95" CAN go 98".... IF this would clean them up (DO Both if you go this way)

signed....BUBBIE

Ordered my HD cases today and also stopped by an independant cycle shop that has a good harley guy and had him look my cyl's over, hoping to do like you said and bore them another notch. Turns out they had been bored .010 over the 95" already and both him and I agreed it would probably take an additional .020 to clean up. He didn't want to do it and I didn't want him to do it so hello new kit. I am old and retired and this is just a project but I may have to go back to work to pay for doing this job right. But that is part of the fun. Forward march.

Some times You Can find 95" cylinders that are GOOD and then go the extra to 98". using a T. Plate and ball hone them to fit new pistons by hand... Run this by your builder.

Not too much money then...:D Used cylinders go for about 100$ a set.

signed....BUBBIE

Back