free website stats program Testing The Charging System | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Testing The Charging System

Unfortunately I have to get what I can afford right now which isn't much (unemployed). Is that MandMcycles? https://www.mandmcycles.com/Default2.htm I wasn't able to find a stator in there without a dang part number for it. They're cheaper than $100 ???? It's my only transportation for the last 4 years, I'm getting a little tired of dragging chargers and extension cords around with me....grrrrrrrrr.

It took me a little while to find this thread again but I'm baaaaack. Same thing as last Feb. except this time a dead battery (2 mo old) stranded me in 110+ heat. Thinking that the battery went belly up I exchanged it for a new one, charged it then took a test ride with my meter hooked up to the battery. It's only showing 12.5-12.8vdc at best, so I'm back to square one again. :(
Back in Feb. it all of a sudden started showing 14.2vdc. I just changed all the fluids and nothing smelled burned.

I would start a new thread out of the self help area. State what you have replaced with what type/brand of part because bike has been working since Feb.

EXCELLENT suggestion Hoop! We try not to load the self help area up with posts on a problem because it clouds the topic for anyone trying to get information .

Post your question in the electrical section.

Thanks!

I couldn't figure out where to post a question in the self help section. One quick question just to confirm I was doing this correctly.

Step 2. To check the regulator unplug it from the stator. To do this with a meter which is more accurate: black lead to battery ground, red lead to each pin on the plug, start with the voltage scale higher than 12vdc and move voltage scale down in steps for each pin. Any voltage is a bad regulator
I did this with the regulator that is on my bike now, I get exactly the same voltage that is in the battery, if the battery posts read 12.78 that's what I get at each pin.
I got another (supposedly good) regulator from a builder and rather than install it (would have had to modify the connectors) I hooked it up...ground to neg post of the battery, yellow regulator lead to the breaker post. I got the same thing, same voltage that was in the battery flowing backwards thru the regulator to each pin.
I'm just trying to confirm....or not....that I did the testing properly.
I actually work/write for a well known S.W biker magazine and I'm going to give this site a "plug" in an upcoming article....get ready for a large influx of members lol.

I actually don't put too much confidence in that "back feeding" test. Why I can't really tell you, but I just don't. I myself would test the stator as a stand alone AC generator. Then if the regulator output does not meet spec and I know the battery is OK, then the regulator is probably bad.

Since you are single phase stator output (think you are), testing is easier. Take a few ohm readings on the stator. Test the output of the stator with a meter on the AC scale at a few different RPM's and see what you get. Nothing is proof positive unless you load test it, but a voltage reading will give you some indication on what is going on. Also take a close look at the female connectors at the regulator. Make sure the female pin ends are making good contact and are Tight with the male pins.

Both of the regulators are reading exactly the same is what gets me. I checked the stator per the instructions here, I got 18vac when running, it was difficult to hold both leads and grab the throttle and see the meter all at once so I just kinda revved it a little. I tested across the stator plug female pins and got 0.00 resistance.
I just got back from a ride to the store, my meter is hooked up via a pigtail so I can read voltage into the battery. I'm getting 12.8 is all, and that's at high RPM. I was supposed to lead a pack of about 150 bikes to a run this weekend, I guess that's not happening, lol

To convert the AC voltage into DC voltage, a series of diodes are used. A diode is an electrical one-way check valve that allows current to flow in only one direction unless it is damaged. By allowing current to flow in only one direction, we are able to convert alternating current to direct current.
Above is from this reference
Charging systems - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

I got 18vac when running, it was difficult to hold both leads and grab the throttle and see the meter all at once so I just kinda revved it a little. I tested across the stator plug female pins and got 0.00 resistance.

Without getting accurate feedback from certain questions your only guessing at best at what the root problem is. Answers won't just pop out at you. Sometimes it requires a helper in order to get the readings you need.

If you read 0.00 ohms across the stator, your meter was on the incorrect range. It had to measure something above 0.00 if you also read 18volts output. Use the lowest range , most likely 200ohms.

Hey Glider. I was reading this post. Is that correct? Start the engine and measure DC Volts across the battery terminals, the regulator should be putting out 14.3 - 14.7 vdc at 3600 rpm and 75 degrees F.

My gauge on the dash indicates a 14.0 vdc while riding down the road, and then at idle 12.5 vdc. Is that correct reading?

I actually don't put too much confidence in that "back feeding" test. Why I can't really tell you, but I just don't. I myself would test the stator as a stand alone AC generator. Then if the regulator output does not meet spec and I know the battery is OK, then the regulator is probably bad.

I was at a run last weekend and a couple of friends had '02 Roadkings and they let me test that voltage "back feed" on their bikes because I wasn't real confident in that test either. There wasn't any voltage coming back from the battery. We also did a diode test on theirs and mine (I took it with me) mine was toast.
I have another regulator coming, and I've had a chrome cover on mine and I think this time I'm going to leave it off, it doesn't look like it lets enough air across it to help with cooling.....that might not be the reason I keep blowing regs but it sure can't hurt to try.
Thanks again for all the help.

Back