free website stats program Testing The Charging System | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Testing The Charging System

on step two it says on three phase regulators you will have continuity i have a 93 sportster 1200 xlh is it a three phase because it is hot
i just tested with meter grounded and to stator plug and the meter on 2o vdc it read .03 on both pins and .033 on 2vdc and across the stator plu3 with the meter on 200 ohms (i think it has a sign that looks like a hat beside it) it read.04 with the key on the regulator read 1.8 on one pin and 2.9 on the other then with the bike idleing i read 16-20 and increasing with rpm on the stator plug the battery had 12.5 volts running and off then my meter beebs when continuity is below 30 ohms so when i checked continuity across stator plug it beeped so i still aint sure whats bad and not hoping someone with more experience and wisdom an help please

Last edited:
I am having alot of trouble out of my charging system I have had a new regulator ,stator as well as battery put in 3 weeks ago and it still seems to be running off just my battery i can only get my gauge to show tops 11 1/2 tops for the charging volts and i have no clue where to look now I have also replace the relay that is located right next to the battery I have a 1988 electra glide wuith the 1340 in it can anyone send me a pic of the same area so I can get some kind of idea as to if something isnt wired right or if anyone else can give me an idea as to the problem and how to fix it, thanks

I am having alot of trouble out of my charging system I have had a new regulator ,stator as well as battery put in 3 weeks ago and it still seems to be running off just my battery i can only get my gauge to show tops 11 1/2 tops for the charging volts and i have no clue where to look now I have also replace the relay that is located right next to the battery I have a 1988 electra glide wuith the 1340 in it can anyone send me a pic of the same area so I can get some kind of idea as to if something isnt wired right or if anyone else can give me an idea as to the problem and how to fix it, thanks

Have you checked the voltage at the battery with the bike running, gauges are not always accurate

yep my voltage meter shows about 12.2-12.4 and thats even when shes running

Regulator is not working, check the battery lead from the Regulator to the battery for power, make sure the regulator is grounded, have you just painted the frame?

no we havent painted the frame it worked for about 7 days then it just stopped charging its about to run me crazy im lost cars i know bikes not so much what should i set the voltage meter on to check the volts coming from the regulator and what amount of volts should i look for coming from the regulator

no we havent painted the frame it worked for about 7 days then it just stopped charging its about to run me crazy im lost cars i know bikes not so much what should i set the voltage meter on to check the volts coming from the regulator and what amount of volts should i look for coming from the regulator

At idle you should see above fully charged battery voltage 12.75 volts, I would like to see 13 to 13.5 Is this an OEM H D regulator? Is the plug on the case to the Alternator mushy feeling?

Here's some info on what to look for...

Harley Davidson Community

Back