free website stats program Testing The Charging System | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Testing The Charging System

I am both a new member and an inexperienced Harley mechanic so I am hoping that someone here can instruct me on how to locate the voltage regulator on my '91 883 Sportster? I don't think that my stator is burned up, after reading most of these posts, because I just changed the fluids and nothing smelled burned to me. I really want to start with the simplest solution before attempting to replace the stator, so all suggestions are very much welcome. Thank you in advance for any help.

I am both a new member and an inexperienced Harley mechanic so I am hoping that someone here can instruct me on how to locate the voltage regulator on my '91 883 Sportster? I don't think that my stator is burned up, after reading most of these posts, because I just changed the fluids and nothing smelled burned to me. I really want to start with the simplest solution before attempting to replace the stator, so all suggestions are very much welcome. Thank you in advance for any help.

it would be the big black finned lump of metal on the front downtube of the main frame just forward of the oil filter

Brian

Thank you, Sir. I found it after searching for a replacement online. Once I saw what it looked like, I knew exactly where it was.
As I said, I am NOT a mechanic. Now I need to let the weather cool down some so I can work on testing it.
I reallly do appreciate the help, and I will probably be asking quite a few more questions regarding this stator replacement (if necessary) so please indulge me and don't laugh too much at my ignorance.

Just be case you dont know something does not mean you cant learn about it and in turn help others
the only stupid question is the one you dont ask
for more detailed info on your particular year of bike the best thing to do is to get the correct service manual for your bike
however here on the forum we will help wherever we can

Brian

Thanks again Brian. I have been trying to find a service manual for some time now, and I was wondering if you might have any suggestions as to where I might find one for a reasonable price. I have also noticed that there aren't too many places nearby that carry replacement parts for my Sporty. I have a list that I had printed out at the Harley dealership in Louisiana, which covers the nation (according to them) but they didn't have the parts I needed either.

I couldn't really help you on your area as I'm tn a rural part of north Scotland i have never been in an hd dealership and i get all i need by mail order often up to 4 weeks to get parts so i keep a spare bike just in case one of the other 2 are down for a while
as your bike is getting on a wee bit it may be that dealers wont hold much on the shelf for it so you may be quicker going mail order for parts and manuals

Brian

I must say that I'm really enjoying this site, and the advice is spot on. I have been around bikers most of my life and many of the old timers that I grew up around are (sadly) no longer among us, so I can't just ride over and ask for help.
I have wanted to ride since I was a teen-aged boy and used to "chop" every bicycle that I owned based upon some of my older friends own Harleys. I am 44 years old now and this as I said is the first time in my life that I've been able to purchase and enjoy my passion. I was busy raising a family from an early age, but now all of my kids are grown, and my Grandchildren love for "Paw-Paw" to take them for a short spin around the yard on my "Putt-Putt".
Thanks again, Y'all.

Follow the wee group of wires from the regulator they go down the main frame downtube and near the bottom of the down tube should be a plug that is the one
the stator wiring harness comes out of the primary at the top just behind the rear cylinder goes across the gearbox down under a cover on the right side of the engine and along the rightside frame tube to meet the regulator harness

Brian

on step two it says on three phase regulators you will have continuity i have a 93 sportster 1200 xlh is it a three phase because it is hot

Back