free website stats program Testing The Charging System | Harley Davidson Forums

Testing The Charging System

diggerdaveaz

Account Removed
First of all Glider.... THANKS for your info, it has helped me eliminate a few suspected problems. Ok...I've done all the testing you posted and everything is checking out fine and within the specified ranges. BUT.....at idle I'm getting less than 12v charging at the batt terminals. As I go thru the gears (I hooked up my meter so I could watch it) I get anywhere between 12.2v up to 14v. Even at 50mph in 5th gear I'm barely getting over 12v, if I kick it down to 4th gear then I get over 13v at the terminals.
I've replaced the regulator and even replaced the 40a breaker thinking maybe it was weak. Is there such a thing as a "weak" stator? I'm at a loss here, I've been wrestling with this for over 2 weeks now, can't afford to take it to a shop.
'02 FLHRI
Thanks in advance.
DiggerD

There's always the possibility of a weak stator where one magnet is shorted out. Don't overlook that. Your best bet at this point would be to open the primary for a visual inspection.

diggerdaveaz if I was going to all the work of opening it up I would go ahead and just install a new stator using new mounting bolts. I have seen stators stop working then start working again, a sign there ready to go and have also seen low output from them, you will probably smell the smell when you pop the cover, like Glider said check the magnets in the rotor that none are loose, then when you go back up you know what you have. Just what I would do, good luck.

Thanks Chopper......I hear ya on that. Going to start with the "sniff test" first, and at least take a short ride and reach hwy speeds and see what my meter is reading, exhausting all possibilities before major surgery.

Another dumb question please. I'm getting conflicting answers in my HD shop manual. In one section it states FLHR-I fuel injected models use a high output 45 amp stator, yet in another section it states 38 amp. I put a regulator off an '04 (I think) Road Glide, which I was told was for a 45 amp system, I'm wondering if I put the wrong dang regulator on. Day before yesterday I wasn't event getting 12v at the terminals without high rpms, yesterday I was getting 12.4 at idle and anwhere from 12v to a high of almost 13v while riding at normal speed/gears. It seemed to drop on the way home when the engine had warmed thoroughly.
Thank you again for all your help

They use the 45 amp rotors on the fuel injected models for sure, I want to say they had a updated stator, older stock could be used on low amp rotors (carb bikes) but you needed the updated stators to use with the 45 amp rotor (EFI bikes). If you are getting inconsistent readings from your charging system I would say the stator is going, if you replace it make sure you have the high output rotor on, you can buy the stator and rotor as a kit if I remember right. I don't know if the voltage regulator part numbers are the same 02-04 but they are the same on 38 & 45 amp systems.

Thanks Chopper.....I was asking because in one part of the shop manual it states (as you did) that ALL EFI models use the 45a system. But a few chapters later it lists the models FLHI, FLHR-I, FLHRC-I, FLHT, FLHTC, FLTR are 38amp.....FLHTC-I, FLHTCU-I, FLTR-I are 45amp......conflicting info. But if the regulators are the same for each then that eliminates my installing the incorrect regulator....dang it. As you can tell I'm trying to avoid replacing that stator myself, guess I'll get my tools lined up on the operating table.
Thanks again

Thanks for your help again. I guess I can't get out of replacing the stator, it all boils down to that being the problem.
My question now is.......can I put a 3-phase stator in my '02 FLHRI? That's the least expensive one I can find, but it suggests changing regulators?? It has 18 coils I believe. The only other inexpensive one I found only has 12 coils, but doesn't suggest a regulator change.
Thanks for your patience and help. I'm old skool, all these wires mess me up.

http://www.jpcycles.com/search/productdetail?sku=353-544&N=0&Ntt=2002+flhri+stator&Ntk=All&Ne=&fitment=1&brand=0&results=100 3-phase stator

http://www.jpcycles.com/search/productdetail?sku=381-595&N=0&Ntt=2002+flhri+stator&Ntk=All&Ne=&fitment=1&brand=0&results=100 Single phase stator

Last edited:
Those prices didn't seem all that cheap, try M&M for the Harley one, no sales tax & 20% off list, they are good to deal with, I recommend the Harley stator, they have heavier windings and are beefed up from 02, you don't want to be doing this again in the middle of riding season, putting out more money. Also order 4 new mounting bolts for the stator & check the magnets in the rotor while you have it off, you wount be sorry.
Happy trails

Back