free website stats program Stumped why will my bike only turn twice and stop | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Stumped why will my bike only turn twice and stop

Would like to see both cylinders close to each other, you are right, I would hate to think about a major mechanical lock, the OP could supply us with how it ran last time and how long ago that was?

That would be helpfull to know a little more but it looks like he is headed in the right direction to find the problem. It is a interesting problem. Ill check back later tonight at the new updates need to head out for emission recert class.

I have had issues in the past with the battery not charging and having a difficult time starting the motor. -----

How long / often before replacing reg/stator???

I've also had issues with spark plugs burning out. ---

what do you mean "burning out" ? Black tips or actually burning the diode off????

Ive replaced the regulator and stator on 15 Feb 2013 hoping it would fix the charging issue and the spark plug issues, but I haven't been able to start my bike since the beginning of winter. -------

When was the last time it actually ran and how did it run i.e. sluggish , missing , fine???? Have you done anything else before or after????

I have had issues in the past with the battery not charging and having a difficult time starting the motor. -----

what do you mean "burning out" ? Black tips or actually burning the diode off????

Ive replaced the regulator and stator on 15 Feb 2013 hoping it would fix the charging issue and the spark plug issues, but I haven't been able to start my bike since the beginning of winter. -------

When was the last time it actually ran and how did it run i.e. sluggish , missing , fine???? Have you done anything else before or after????

Good Randy, If we could get these answers it would be way easier to nail this one down:s

I have been running this around in what little mind I have left, and if it is to far off base I can take the ribbing. The check valve on the oil line can leak and the oil will fill the void under the pistons. If oil is added with oil filling the sump I know when the motor is turned over it can make a mess when it followes the path of least resistence, but can it not cause pressure to build under the pistons?

" How long / often before replacing reg/stator???" i replaced the regulator and stator on said date and after reading a forum with a similar starting issue, not exactly the same but because i was planning on fixing that charging issue i figured what the heck .

"what do you mean "burning out" ? Black tips or actually burning the diode off????" just black tips and it would cause miss firing bog the bike down after a longer ride in a high heat environment.

"When was the last time it actually ran and how did it run i.e. sluggish , missing , fine???? "

As i stated the last i was able to start/run my bike was in the begining of winter,,,,and it ran fine no issues other then charging the battery and hard start = playing with the choke< but it would turn fine.

"Have you done anything else before or after????"
I have replaced spark plugs and changed the oil and tires nothing more
Does this help?

I have been running this around in what little mind I have left, and if it is to far off base I can take the ribbing. The check valve on the oil line can leak and the oil will fill the void under the pistons. If oil is added with oil filling the sump I know when the motor is turned over it can make a mess when it followes the path of least resistence, but can it not cause pressure to build under the pistons?

i believe in that situation it wouldnt turn at all with plugs in or out/: but now im not sure about much of this lol

i believe in that situation it wouldnt turn at all with plugs in or out/: but now im not sure about much of this lol

Check the level in your oil tank and take a whiff, Does it smell heavy with gas? If it is way over full you have too much oil, if it is way low the crank case will be flooded with oil this can cause more drag on the flywheels as Don suggested

Unless I missed it nobody here has suggested doing a compression check.
You say the bike will rollover with the plugs removed.Try removing both plugs then inserting a compression guage in one of the cylinders and turn it over to get a reading,do the same with the other cylinder.If it is extremely high go back to valve timing

Back