free website stats program Stumped why will my bike only turn twice and stop | Harley Davidson Forums

Stumped why will my bike only turn twice and stop

cito2486

I have a 1995 Heritage soft tail classic that i bought used with an unknown amount of miles due too a odometer that stopped working at 28,000. I have had issues in the past with the battery not charging and having a difficult time starting the motor. I've also had issues with spark plugs burning out. Ive replaced the regulator and stator on 15 Feb 2013 hoping it would fix the charging issue and the spark plug issues, but I haven't been able to start my bike since the beginning of winter. I have checked grounding points and connections but i don't understand why my bike will turn twice and then stop turning at all ?!?!? Any ideas this is my first time asking a question on a forum please help!

Attachments

• 0731011320a.jpg
    0731011320a.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 29
I have a 1995 Heritage soft tail classic that i bought used with an unknown amount of miles due too a odometer that stopped working at 28,000. I have had issues in the past with the battery not charging and having a difficult time starting the motor. I've also had issues with spark plugs burning out. Ive replaced the regulator and stator on 15 Feb 2013 hoping it would fix the charging issue and the spark plug issues, but I haven't been able to start my bike since the beginning of winter. I have checked grounding points and connections but i don't understand why my bike will turn twice and then stop turning at all ?!?!? Any ideas this is my first time asking a question on a forum please help!

Welcome to The Forum What is the status of your battery? Does the starter stall completely?

Thank you for the welcoming (= Yeh i have three different batteries and they are all good, and the starter will engage and turn it twice and it sounds like its still engaged and it just doesnt have enough cranking power to turn it more then twice with any of the batteries, i have also attempted to jump start it with both my vehicles prior to replacing the stator and regulator and the same issue ac-cures

Thank you for the welcoming (= Yeh i have three different batteries and they are all good, and the starter will engage and turn it twice and it sounds like its still engaged and it just doesnt have enough cranking power to turn it more then twice with any of the batteries, i have also attempted to jump start it with both my vehicles prior to replacing the stator and regulator and the same issue ac-cures

You say still engaged, like the drive is sticking? Could be as simple as a bad drive All Balls Jackshaft Assembly for Big twins | 382-678 | JP Cycles

Does it sound like something is catching or binding in the primary? ie: a tooth missing from the starter gear or something getting caught in the gear or chain? Can the bike be push started? How long have had the bike? Is this something that just started or has been progressively getting worse? Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to narrow down the possibilities.
WAP.gif

Interesting, Well what would be the symptoms of a bad drive , and would there be any other issues that could cause the drive to stick?

"Does it sound like something is catching or binding in the primary? ie: a tooth missing from the starter gear or something getting caught in the gear or chain? Can the bike be push started? How long have had the bike? Is this something that just started or has been progressively getting worse? Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to narrow down the possibilities."

No the starter has all its teeth and when i replaced the stator i inspected the chain and surrounding areas for any other noticable issues and everthing thing seemed to be in order, also yes it has always had a hard time starting but it would always eventually start i always assumed it was just a cold issue

Remove both spark plugs. Short hi-tension plug wires to ground. Now see if engine will spin through several cycles. It should spin easily.

"Can the bike be push started?"

Also ive never been able to push start it although ive only tried a few times , whenever i release the clutch the bike stops instantly , ive tried in 1st 2nd gears

"Remove both spark plugs. Short hi-tension plug wires to ground. Now see if engine will spin through several cycles."

will try this right now and return, any particular reason how this would help analyze issue?

Back